Fri/night saturday tuna trip - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 08-30-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Fri/night saturday tuna trip

Left o.b marina @ 6:30 conditions were great. Arrived @ the 255 and jigged up a real nice almaco, and two good size blackfins, then the sharks started takin butterfly jigs so we headed for petronius. Once we got to petronius, we jigged up about three blackin's and the sharks went ape shit on us. Had one real nice blackfin right @ the boat with the leader about 4 inches away from my hand and a damn turd hustlin shark snagged him from me. But i did manage to give one of em a real bad headache with the boonie bat. Bitch was doin circles on the surface with my butterfly jig in his mouth. I think he was taunting us. Left there and went to marlin, nothing at all goin on. Pulled off and the crew caught some z's. Went back to the marlin before sunup and put a spread of naked ballyhoo, cedar plugs, and boonie bird out. Once yft started bustin the surface we had double hookups. One 65lber on the cedar plug, and a 80lber on a ballyhoo that i rigged with a blue and white king duster crimped about 3 inches in front of the hoo. Ended up catching a total of 5 yft @ marlin except for the 65 and the 80 the rest were in the 40's. Missed three really good fish to stupid mistakes. One hit the trim tab in a last second dash and broke off. Then one broke the 100 lb leader at the hook.. no chaffing gear because it was a naked hoo. then one because port outrigger made a hard run to starboard and managed to burn off upon grazing port flat line. Sucks but oh well. Bite died shortly after tried chunking for about an hour no luck. so headed for petronius again. Ended up doin real well there but all the yft were no more than 30 lbs. Left hit 255 again alot of undersize aj's, managed to get 3 keepers. Hit unocal jacket wound up with three more keeper aj's.

Total count: 12 yft, 6 aj's, 1 almaco, and 5 blackfins. All the yft hit on naked ballyhoo, hoo with a small blue and white moldcraft lil' chugs alot on the ballyhoo with the small blue and white duster crimped 4 inches away from hoo. And cedar pugs. I rigged everything on 100 lbs leaders, with majority of hook selection being mustad 7732 7/0 hooks. I will post the pics as soon as the boss email's them to me
BlackFlag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Default RE: Fri/night saturday tuna trip

great trip dusty, sorry i couldn't go maybe next time.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
Mingo

Default RE: Fri/night saturday tuna trip

Yeah i hope you get to go on this next trip, i've been trying to get you on the damn boat for like 3 months. So go ahead and plan on going in three weeks cuz i'm already getting things re rigged. Oh by the way i'm gonna bring you three avets and three 50w to be respooled so let me know if its on a weekend i can help you. That and i need you to put a swordie in the boat:bowdown
BlackFlag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in