flipped boat - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
mvr
Cigar Minnow

Default flipped boat

Talked to my uncle who went fishing out of destin this past weekend. he told me they came across a recently capsized boat that looked like it could not have been overturned for long. I have looked for reports of sunk boats and have heard nothing. Has anyone heard anything about a capsized 26ft boat about 80 out from destin?
mvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

There was a thread on here last week that mentioned the overturned boat. The crew was rescued unharmed. The comment also mentioned something about a coast guard beacon being placed on the hull? I think. Not sure.?
jryno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
mvr
Cigar Minnow

thanks that is helpful he mentioned seeing the buoy but had no idea what its purpose was
mvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Mingo

barthu

A boat capsized off grand isle LA a week or two ago. The guys were rescued but the boat rolled and kept floating with an air pocket in the bow. The boat was left out there and I heard a strobe or beacon was placed on it. They were looking into salvage or retrieval options vs sinking it. I heard it was the owners responsibility to take care of this. The coast guard would tow it but at a significant price. Last I heard it was off of florida. This may be the same boat.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
Snapper

We reported a capsized 24-26' boat about 3.5 miles NE of Petronis 2 weeks or so ago to the Coast Guard. They told me it was a derelict vessel with no people involved... Dont know if this means people already rescued or boat went adrift empty?
Lickety-Split is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Trigger

Send a message via AIM to ClemsonTiger11

What are the laws about salvaging one of these vessels? Could someone come across a boat like this and claim it?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

The laws are fairly complicated, but in general, if you get this boat back to port, get it righted, etc., you are entitled to a salvage fee. It can be as high as 1/3 the value of the boat or in extreme cases more. My guess is that the owner has decided that it's not worth it to try to salvage it or have someone salvage it.

If you enter into a contract with the owner or the insurance company, you are limited to the amount of the contract for salvage.

If you salvage it on your own, the owner can always come ask for his vessel, but you have a lien against it and can enforce it in court. You may or may not have to give the boat back while the court case is pending.

I have seen many cases where an owner has failed to go back to get his boat after being rescued and some entrepenurial person went out there and got it himself and ended up with a boat. Lots of effort, though. After that, the boat was his - no court case, no nothing.

My guess it that if you went and got this boat and brought it back, it would be yours and no one would ever come looking for it. If they did, they'd have to pay you a fee so high, that it wouldn't be worth it for them to try to get it back.

Last edited by ALFisher; 08-09-2011 at 09:31 AM.
ALFisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
White Marlin

I have helped with salvaging a few boats. My advice: Unless you got alot of time and money just let her float around out there. It takes alot of work and money to get a boat righted and then you still have to fix all the broken crap once you get it back to the dock.
hsiF deR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in