Evelyn Gale Rig Trip - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 12-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Evelyn Gale Rig Trip

Finally get to post a fishin report.. been watching the weather for weeks it seems waiting for a 24 hour window to get out to the rigs

Got a motley 7 crew of myself, jeremy (duckhuntinsailor), his friend kenny?(sorry i suck at names), bonita dan, mark (nextstep), paul, and matt.

Jeremy made a run to tgills for me and fueled up 10 5gallon cans of diesel (53.4 gal) for 1.70 / gallon including tax!.. got the boat loaded with ice, bait,fuel,beer and crew and set a course for horn mountain.. seas weren't to bad, but we banged our way out at 18 knots or so..

Made a stop at the marlin rig after talking to Wayne on hammertime , they had stopped at the Petronius and bagged some blacks..

Not a whole lot happening at the marlin except blackfins, the guys jigged their arms off but no yellowfin, we kept thinking we saw topwater action but it was mostly just whitecaps

The hammertime crew showed upand had thesame results and headed off to horn mountain, we refueled with our 50 gallons, stowed them, and headed there as well , seas were really starting to pick up now and we only made 16 knots or so just plowingour way there...

We had high hopes for the horn, but started to get discouraged after landing blackfin after blackfin...waiting on sunrise jerermy chunked up a few so we would be ready,

Sunrise came and still hardly any sign of topwater action, and no yellowfins... finally wayneo hails us said they were hooked up to a good fish on a chunk, we started to see some topwater activity and paul got hooked up on a nice fish, and soon (not soon enough for paul) we got a 60lber or so on the deck compliments of jeremy's gaff skills.. next up was ken, and when he had enough he handed the rod off to mark and another nice fish hits the deck..they even let me try for a bit and i get hooked up to what seems like a nice fish initially but it starts acting very odd, making surface runs all around; its a pretty nice cow dolphin, lit up like a neon sign.. cool..

Things were really starting to pick up , we saw some flying fish go higher than i have ever seen with big yellows right behind them, we were chunking like mad , and dan wanted to fish, so i went up in the tower.. around nine the hammertime crew had enough and headed north, about ninethirty i told the guys lets bag it around ten or so as the seas were building up again and it seemed we were surrounded by water spouts , then dan gets hooked up...

Dan has a nice fish on , and it is kicking his butt.. after an hour or so he finally passed the rod off to jeremy... he gets whipped and passes it off to matt, who you guessed it, gets whipped and passes it off to paul.. meanwhile im getting a little concerned... we need to head back in and now its getting near noon.. after much discussion about what might be on the other end of the line, and my suggestion (begging was more like it) to bump the drag up and lets end this..dan tweaks the drag up and paul finally starts making headway.. and its a big tuna... jeremy mans the flying gaff, dans got the rope, matts on the other gaff and with some verbal persuasion from jeremy they drag it over the transom and into the boat...

Its time to go home , but for some reason my gps chartplotter is off...turn it on and it says something about all data lost and it is restarting .. crap...all my waypoints and tracks are gone.. fortunately i have one just like it in the tower , go up there , press goto pensacola pass and start getting out of dodge.. renenter the pass numbers on my other one turn on the autopilot and we are headed home with following seas, a boat full of fish and 7 exhausted crew members..

About 20 miles from the pass its starts to get a bit foggy and looks a lot foggier in front of us, and as we get closer it gets thicker.. crap.. im running with a gps that has no tracks, or waypoints..and it has us headed straight in to the pass.. not the way i want go in.. finally i go up top and get us close to the channel , go back down and now we can pick up the sea buoys on the radar and we pick our way in.. once in the bay we could see again..

ps

thanks and kudos to scott brown for use of his icey tek, and all the help cleaning fish..

rich
reel_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Evelyn Gale Rig Trip

c'mon rich...gotta be more to it than that...read where ya'll were going and was waiting for a report...glad ya'll made it out and back...
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the worked are so formidable as the will and moral and courage of free men and women. It is a weapon adversaries in today's world do not have". -Ronald Reagan, USA
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Grouper

Mike sorry the dang thing posted before i was done typeing , made a few more edits, im still kinda of tired i guess...

rich
reel_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
White Marlin

alright rich! and crew...:clap that's what i'm talking about! sounds like a great trip even with all the problems with the electronics...like i said, glad ya'll made it in and back with a bunch of fish...

thanks for the report rich...want to hear from jeremy, dan, paul and the rest...
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the worked are so formidable as the will and moral and courage of free men and women. It is a weapon adversaries in today's world do not have". -Ronald Reagan, USA
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

good report rich! thanks a million for having us aboard. best fishing trip i ever had.

kenny was the photographer. he will be getting jeremy the photos and maybe some video for posting.(if kennys wife doesnt kill him for fishing on her birthday.)

at one point in timeoutthere, there was a rainbow, flying fish, flying yellowfins, 4 waterspouts and horn mountain rig looming, AWESOME!

right before dan hooked up on the big one, a frigate (tuna)bird flew over, again awesome!

thanks again to captain rich for the trip of a life time and to the rest of the crew for a wonderful time.:letsdrink

comin home

catch

captain rich

pirate dan

thanks to scott, he knew how to take them tunas apart

the motley crew

dinner!

nextstep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Snapper

nice trip!!! any :takephoto
Old 12-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Trigger

One word-AWESOME!!clap

I would love a slab of yellowfin and some wasabe right now.
pogypumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Trigger

Great job!! I was sick to my stomach on Friday knowing a few boats from PFF were heading out.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
Jim T's sworn enemy!
Sailfish

Great trip guys,thanks Rich. Still a little sore but nothing a bunch of Motrin and a quick trip to the massage parlor(with Happy Ending of course:shedevil) cant cure. Big thanks to Scott Brown for coming down to the marina and carving up the fish since some of us were pretty useless,AKA Me! :bowdown Wheres the video Jeremy?
'73 McKee craft 14
PFF Redfish Regatta Trash Talkin Champion '07,'08,'10. Robbed in 2011! Unworthy in 2013
"Take a fish boating"
bonita dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 AM   #10
Trigger

Send a message via MSN to duckhuntinsailor Send a message via Yahoo to duckhuntinsailor

Rich, thanks for the trip, AWESOME!!! Scott, thanks for the help, cooler, and pole. I am working on the video's, uploading to youtube taking forever. Here are a few of the pics.

The sunrise, everyone had taken a small nap and we had a bucket of BFT chunked and ready to go, and saw nothing. We were a bit concerned.

Then we heard Hammer Time was hooked up after chunking, so we repositioned and were quickly hooked up.

Paul (whose forum name will now be CRANK) hossed in this nice boy and made it look easy. No pics of the gaff shot from me but there is video, it was a dandy.

On our next pass Rich hooked up this fine lady.

We repositioned and I was having no luck, YFT started busting all over chasing the "high flying"flying fish so I gave up my chunking rod to toss a lure, a few minutes later Kenny hooked up. Kenny was our true rookie, first time in the gulf other than a partyboat,nice birds nest on thehook up but luckily Rich was close by to fix it.NOTICE the water spout forming in the back ground.

Kenny didn't last long, and passed of to Mark (nextstep) worked this fish nicely.

Team work does pay off. Kenny and Mark (withtheir first YFT)

On our next drift Bonita Dan hooked up, and after all the trash talking he had given Kenny we were not taking it easy on him. Here is Dan's fighting position about 15 min into the fight.

And about 30 min into the fight, DAN TURN THE SILVER THING!!!!!!

And after about 45 min this was it, I don't even think he could lift his left arm. This is also about the time Paul (CRANK) says, "why does that water look so weird off our bow". UH, I think that's a water spout, and it got a little close for comfort. Video later.

Finally Dan set pride aside and, reportedly for the first time ever, passed the rod off to me. With pole in hand I took back all the bad crap I had been given Dan and could feel this was a big fish. I did what I could to try to gain line, and with some great team work backing down on her I may have broke even beforepassing the rod to Matt (Oceanman), as soon as I began to tire. Matt came in fresh and we gained a lot of line by backing down again, then an hour and a half into this fight this fish made another nice run. Matt passed off to Paul (CRANK), and Paul put the hammer down on a somewhat tired fish. I have video of when we first see color and then when she gets boat side, I'll try to post later.

One woreout/ happygroup of guys.

Rearranging, again Scott thanks for the cooler.

On the ride back, just before Kenny fell asleep.

Paul (CRANK) and Bonita Dan wore out.

Matt (Oceanman), the sun was in his eyes.

Awesome seas on the way in. And love the sound of those engines.

Our 3 YFT before Scott got ahold of them.

Scott working the Dexter, with Matt help on the other side. The rest of the crew pretty much set back, sneaking hunks and mixing with the Wasabi, I've never been so full off raw meat, PERFECT. THANKS AGAIN SCOTT!!!!!

Here's the end product, at least the YFT portion. That's a lot of meat 16 bags, estimate of 60#.

And here are the BFT fillets. We only kept 15, proably caught 50 and alot of them made there way into YFT bellies. The others well we just didn't have room, and that's never a bad thing.
duckhuntinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in