Evelyn Gale Rig Trip - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Evelyn Gale Rig Trip

Made a last minute decision on friday to fish the rigs based on recent reports of clean water and tuna... crew was myself , my fishin partner jim , jeremy , and jeremys friend sam and.. (help me out jeremy im terrible with names)..

Got loaded up with 36 extra gallons of fuel and what seemed like a couple thousand lbs of gear, ice etc.. left island cove at 8pm friday nite.. plan was to limp on out for an hour or 2 then run for an hour, then limp some more to save fuel.. we got good news from litecatch before we left, which was go to the petronious, we had planned on going to the marlin ... thanks scott... had a nice full moon on the way there and flat seas once we got past the sea buoys.. stopped about 12 miles from the rig and fueled up.. several boats were already there at 2:30 am or so.. talked to midnight run jeff who was there on his boss's "little boat".. lots of hard tail andblack fin action, but mostly just killin time waiting for sunrise... by the time daylight rolled around it was like a parking lot out there.. we managed 1 30 lb or so yellowfin on a chunk.. and several more blackfin, and a few small yellowfins.. jim started throwing a small rapala lure and had almost instant success. and finally hooked up a nice fish.. jeremy did the honors with the gaff and we had nice 50 lber in the boat.. after that jim gets back up on the bow to try for another and next thing i know he has managed to hook himself in the back with the treble ..and has it buried in pretty good , after a couple lame attempts to yank it out i just cut the treble off and we leave it for the doctor to deal with..

We decided to troll for a while after the bite slowed down.. fed some bonitas with ballyhoo, and got a couple more short yellowfins.. had a good knockdown but no hookup on a moldcraft chugger

final tally was 2 keeper yellowfin, several black fin, and 5 exhausted anglers... got back in to island cove about 5pm sat... figured we burned 136 gallons of diesel, 60 bucks in bait, and 15-20 in ice..

rich
reel_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: Evelyn Gale Rig Trip

Hey, from where I stand...you did great! You have 100#'s of tuna, and only used 140 gallons of fuel. We used 300 gallons, and can't even get a piece of sushi!

Congrats on the fish! Hope your friend's back heals up.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Sailfish

Great report Rich sounds like you guys had a good time and any YFT is a good one. :bowdown
mpmorr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Trigger

My thinking is that 1 yellowfin makes the trip worth while! Great job..
401 Cay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
White Marlin

good job out there rich and company...thanks for the report and hope your partner heals up...
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the worked are so formidable as the will and moral and courage of free men and women. It is a weapon adversaries in today's world do not have". -Ronald Reagan, USA
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Trigger

Good job Rich!!! Congrats on the tuners!!!!!!!!!
BLKFLYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Good to hear you got out there and got ya a couple Rich!
D.Woodley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
Trigger

Send a message via MSN to duckhuntinsailor Send a message via Yahoo to duckhuntinsailor

Rich

Thanks for the invite. Sorry so slow to respond, dealing with getting my window fixed and redoing my strip charts got me behind. I've barely had time to poop. My friends name was Matt and Paul was our fifth,.....Sam ???? I had an awesome time, my first time to the rigs, even if we hadn't caught fish just getting to see that was worth it.

I learned a few things on this trip:

1. When gaffing a big fish make sure your feet are set and get ready to get shook silly.

2.When bringing that fish (with trebels hanging out of it's mouth) over the gunnel, dropping him on the deck between your feet, andtrapping yourself in the corner isn't a good idea. My legs were a bit sore Sunday from the tail whipping.

3.Don't stick a trebel in your back. That looked painful. Jim was a trooper, though.

4. When going on long fishing trip always put on sunscreen.

5. Don't leave a flight bag in your truck, which someone might mistake for a purse. (broken window and12 hours of redoing charts really sucked).
duckhuntinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
Grand Slam

Great job Rich and thanks for the post.
Deeplines is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in