Epic offshore trip - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Like Tree23Likes

Old 05-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Epic offshore trip

Been awhile since i have posted due to Life mainly . Been twice this year with trip one being a awesome mix of Deep dropping and a wide open, open water night time tuna bite where we limited before day light , but enough with trip one.

This last weekend we departed our new home in Orange Beach at 9 pm friday night: Barbers Marina. Finally got a dock where i can back right up to my boat and load the million pounds of gear , bait and ice we bring without searching for carts and parking spots.

Got to the sword grounds we picked for the night and deployed the baits under the most awesome full moon and seas. My two boat partners went to bed and i stayed on the deck to watch the rods and hopefully catch a swordfish. At 4 AM the shimano alarm clock went off in a huge way. So hard and so loud it woke up the guys in the cabin but before they could get out of the cabin the fish had melted 3/4 of the way into my 50W . The boat gets started and we wind up the other baits and i am finally able to stop the fish. At this point i opted to hand off to Reggie who is our closer so I could rig the harpoon and drive the boat while chris helped reggie in the chair.

About 1 hour in we see color down deep in our lights but it took another 30 minutes till we saw our swordfish turn into the biggest yellowfin i have ever personally seen in the gulf spinning around making huge circles. The sickles on the fish were 4 ft long and he was all lite up trying his best to break us off under the boat , but with a few quick throttle moves we planed him up for a gaff shot and chris stuck him as i leadered and we were all in shock at the size of this beast.

We could hardly get him in the Viking 43 fish box having to muscle him into the box and iced him him. After that the sun was coming up so baits in and we trolled at day break catching two wahoo quickly and loosing one more. We trolled till about noon catching 3 super sized chickens about 10 pounds each and decided to try day time swordfishing for a few hours and hone our skills and techniques.

I dropped the first bait down at 2 pm and sat for about a hour when all the sudden i get ripped. The line went totally limp and i used my hooker 80W to wrap speed catch up to the fish which felt like a tile fish. The guys were giving me hell saying it was a rockfish or something when i finally came really tight and the line started to angle out and away from the boat. The angle got stepper and steeper till i said its going to jump, and all the sudden the Swordfish busts the surface and comes all the way out of the water , grey hounding and trashing its bill all over the place 350 yards behind the boat. We quickly maneuvered the boat into position as the fish was up and got him under us quickly.

I leadered the giant sword and he came up to the port side where reggie tossed the harpoon into it ending the fight in a mere 15 minutes total from start to finish. At this point we all freaked out and couldn't believe what had just took place. We took pics and iced it down into the box which was now plugged with just 2 fish. We did one more drop and got bit again but this time the fish took the bait.

Back to trolling for the last two hours and right before sunset Chris hooked and landed a giant bull dolphin. The sword baits went in at 9 pm and at 10 pm we are on and chris lands another Keeper swordfish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point we have no box space left and all our ice is packed so we came in to Orange Beach arriving sunday morning at 5 am. Enjoy the pics Guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Epic offshore trip-img_2825-jpg   Epic offshore trip-img_2955-jpg   Epic offshore trip-img_2843-jpg   Epic offshore trip-img_2929-jpg   Epic offshore trip-img_3041-jpg  

Epic offshore trip-img_2989-jpg   Epic offshore trip-img_2960-jpg  
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
Grouper

Default Mor epics

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Epic offshore trip-trip3-jpg   Epic offshore trip-trip1-jpg   Epic offshore trip-trip4-jpg   Epic offshore trip-trip2-jpg  
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

WOW! That Tuna is grown for sure
nmadel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Default Great catch

Fantastic catch and a great report.
ebbtide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
eating tasty
White Marlin

Best local offshore trip I think I've ever seen posted here. Awesome! That will get the fever boiling for sure. I need to get out there.
Fishing Dad likes this.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Mingo

Awesome report, thanks for posting
Russian likes this.
RollTider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
Snapper

pretty work!! Awesome trip...
atlantacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
JMS
Mingo

WOW!!!
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #9
Sailfish

Dang! speechless! Dang! What a trip! Congrats!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
Trigger

Incredible trip! Congrats!
Michael f sights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in