Does Sea Tow Come out this far - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 07-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
White Marlin

Question Does Sea Tow Come out this far

1. Josh, (Fendbender and captain), Josh H, Jack, Jeff ( Kingfisher#1) and I met at Sherman around 1530, loaded and launched Trigger Happy (,the boat) , but the boat didn’t leave the trailer. Seems the safety chain was still attached. No big deal, took the chain off and the boat was in the water. When the captain went to prime the starboard engine, he realized that when he changed the filter, he forgot to fill the new filter with gas. No problem just need to take the filter over to the gas station, fill it with gas ( we didn’t have a can) and reinstall. Short time later, both engines were running and we were going out the pass. Just as we passed the first buoy, there was a rumble form one of the engines. Power down and a visual inspection of props and cooling identified no problems. Started up again, went couple of hundred yards and rumble again . Another inspection, and restarted. This time the engines ran fine, but I was kind of getting the feeling that maybe someone was trying to tell us something. The plan was to go out to the spur, get some tuna , a swordfish or two, some deep dropping and of course the elusive red snapper. Well we would soon know if the boat was ready for a 60+ miles one way trip.

Saw some neat stuff on the way out.

Saw some birds working and started trolling about 35-40 miles out, picked up a skipjack tuna and a small dolphin. Then it was time to start sword fishing. We put two lines down, one at around 400 feet and the other at 200. A fly line was put out the back just in case some thing was swimming by. And we waited, actually I went to sleep, Jack started singing songs, with the Joshes and Jeff joining in once in awhile. Around 0200, I got up, the singing was not very good, reminded me of a cat in heat. Once I got up, everyone else be came quiet and settled down. Jeff was the only one still up with me and he was still holding that fly line. Around 0300, one of the swordfish poles ( the one around 400 feet) started singing, Jeff yelled fish on, game on and everyone jumped up. After a 15-20 second run the line went limp. Pulling up the line, we could see it was frayed and cut. Reset the pole and put it back down. Everyone settled back down. Jeff still had that fly line in his hand. Around 0400, Jeff started yelling again and this time the fly line pole is bent double- Fish ON! . After a 20 minute battle, Jeff landed his first Yellowfin and it only took Josh 3 tries to gaff it. Josh suggested we start the chum line to keep any other tuna to stay in the area and that we pull up the swordfish poles. When we pulled the poles it became apparent that both pole had been hit by what we think was swordfish based upon the chaffing of the lines. Guess we were more sleepy then we thought.

Time to concentrate on tuna. We kept the chum line going and so daybreak was upon us and we could see surface activity. We tried to start the engines, all we heard was a clink. It appears the lights on the boat drained both batteries. Josh made a very good observation “ we might have a problem”. Let see 60 miles out and dead batteries- no real problem. I asked does Sea Tow come out this far??? Was this another sign??

Then not to be too much of a smart ass, I reminded Josh that I had brought my portable power pack for my electric reel and suggested we hook it up to one of the batteries and use it to start and engine. The first attempt failed, so we tried the other battery and it started. Thie running engine gave enough boost to the batteries that we could start the second engine. We were again mobile.

So we went after the tuna which seemed to be busting all around us. Next fish was a 22 # dolphin.
    Jack fighting the dolphin

The next hook up was a Wahoo, not super big, but big enough to break the line when we got it to the boat, Still fun to catch and watch.

For the next several hors we watched tuna bust around us but were unable to hook up. Finally they shutdown and we moved on to deep dropping.

Josh , the captain moving us to a new spot, He has some nice numbers, we picked up some nice tile fish

Look at the bend in Josh H pole

Next we moved toward the edge for grouper. We pick another tile and some snowy grouper

Then as the day was winding down, we moved in and looking the elusive red snapper. After picking up 6 snapper, some Amoco jacks, an amberjack, a dog snapper and a few other odds and ends, we headed in. Tired but happy- a mixed bag and many first for some of the fisherman.

Thanks to Josh for taking us and sharing his boat.

the motley crew of the trigger happy

Josh will be adding additional pictures later
  1. Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post
+ Reply to Thread
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Nice report and story, but I can't see any pictures? Then again, I have had a few problems with my phone, so may be me?
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Grouper

I see red X's

Grady-White 257 / Twin F150's
PCfisher66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

The pictures are cross posted from here: http://www.gulfcoastfishingconnection.com
You must be logged in on that site to see the pictures.
blakeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
White Marlin

no problem seeing them for me....nice report Ed....thanks for sharing

Bill
..........................................semi-RETIRED......
ironman172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Sailfish

all i see is red x,s also???
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Sailfish

Those are some nice fish!
Old 07-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Grand Slam

What fish, what pictures. All I see is a great story and blue question marks! Post em here, not a link!
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
White Marlin

Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
White Marlin

Default picture s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in