Destin to Venice 8/11-8/13 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Destin to Venice 8/11-8/13

My crew and I left Sandestin Marina at 11:00 loaded for bear headed to Venice. We were running across the bay under the Mid Bay Bridge when I decided to check the livewell. It was not working, when i was running it pushed water into the well and when we staopped it drained out of the well through the output. So we turned around and ran over to Legendary where i keep my boat and Bill Kight, my service manager, had a new pump installed in less than an hour. On way again. We hit the pass in Destin and it looked terrible, there was a huge cell building right in front of the pass. We turned around and decided to run the ICW to Pensacola. There still was some weather that way, but not much and we decided to stop for Lunch in Fort Walton. By 2:30 we were back on track and running toward Venice.

We made it to Baptist Collette by 7:15 and we were all relevied.
Destin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-007-jpg

We got some grub and called it a night.

Friday morning we were moving a little slower than I wanted, but headed to the fuel dock and loaded up with about 500 lbs of ice and everything else we might need.
Destin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-011-jpg

Running the Mississippi
Destin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-014-jpg
Checked a few rigs on the way out for bait and finally found some perfect sized hardtails on a floater in MCBK 547. We got about 25 5-6' hardtails and set a coarse for Thunderhorse. While we were running over i saw Devils tower in the distance and decided to change coarse and check it out. Boy was I glad I did that. As soon as we got about a mile away there was life everywhere.

We hooked up to a 15 or so lb Yellowfin on out first go. Our next pass we got this guy.
Destin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-017-jpg

A little while later we hooked up to another good one and handed the rod to our most inexperienced angler. We hooked him up the harness and he started the fight.
Destin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-018-jpgDestin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-020-jpgDestin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-021-jpg

Continued below

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Trigger

We picked up a few smaller Yellows on waxwings and poppers. Once we ran out of bait we decided to set out our spread and head north to where we were going to spend the night. Had one good knock down on a Illander/Ballyhoo, but nothing after that.

Nice open water sunset.
Destin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-024-jpg

Ran to Deepwater Nautilus, we set up and ate dinner and goofed around for a while. Then we nosed up to the rig to see if anyone was home. THe current was pumping. Our sounder lit up at 200 ft. we dropped a small butterfly jig down and immediately boated a 30 lb Big Eye Tuna. We then set up for another shot at one. We tied a 12 oz jig on this time so it would drop faster and straigher. Immediately hook up. This one has a little more back bone. Boated this guy 30 minutes later right under a 100. I wanted Tom to show the set up. It was a Talica 16 on a Terez rod with 50 lb power pro.

Destin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-028-jpg
We set up drift after drift hooking up everytime. We boated 2 more nice Big Eyes in the next hour or so. one 60 and one 70. At this point we were running out of room in our front fish box and runnning out of ice. The crew and I decided we would head north from there and forego the next days fishing to save all this fish. We did one more set up before we left and hooked into a really nice fish. I fought this one and thought I could do it with out the harness. but 20 minutes in I had them strp me up. Boated him after a while and boy it was big. Well over a 100 and I thought it could be close to the FL State Record.
Destin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-040-jpgDestin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-039-jpg
We ran North and ducked into Pensacola at 7:15 to refuel and Ice up. Headed over to Sandestin to clean the fish and rest. Our plan was to leave to the 2 large Big Eye on ice and weigh them at Harbor walk that evening.

Ran over to Harbor walk and weighed the big one. I was disapointed, it tipped the scales at 100 even. It had been bled really well and sat in ice for 12 hours. I really thought it would be around 150. He it is on the scales.
Destin to Venice 8/11-8/13-venice-trip-081111-038-jpg
Ready for our next one. I hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Head Kned; 08-15-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Head Kned is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Mingo

Happy to see the Tuna hitting the deck!! Great report!

2017 SeaHunter32
Twin 300hp Yamaha
Theodore, AL
reeldog80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
OSOK
Blue Marlin

Awesome Report!!

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

Looks like the tuna are getting bigger and bigger, Nice fish
bigrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Trigger

Very nice big eye. Congrats and great report. We watched a nice blue crashing skip jack Saturday at Innovator and went 7 for 11 on yellowfin, 65 # avg. Long run from Destin to Venice for sure. How was the water at Devils? Real dirty where we were but flying fish were being chased by tuna until around 11 am then they were down. Caught a few more chumming but by 1 it was over.
superchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Trigger

The water was not all that good at Devils. Maybe clean green. We got there just after noon and stayed until 5. It was non stop action. Bonita kept taking our baits or we would have done better. We hooked up to one really nice YF on a popper, which was cool to here that drag scream, but he spit it.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Sailfish

Head: Great report! Great pics! Thanks for taking the time to share! Hilton's showed really poor water quality, how did it look to you guys? Glad to see that the tuna were home regardless of water quality. Were there many if any other boats out there?

As you can see Hilton's is showing poor water quality, Glad to see the tuna did not get the memo

2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Trigger

I tried to upload Thursday's chart Friday morning before we ran out, but i could not get a signal in Venice on my iPad. So as we were running to Thunderhorse, i decided to stay west and pulled over at Devils tower. Wednesdays chart showed it was in on the edge of clean green, Thunderhorse was in brown.

Last edited by Head Kned; 08-15-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Head Kned is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Trigger

thats a Crazy trip. Destin to venice how many miles was that round trip?
Longbow14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in