Costa Rica offshore day 1 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 01-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Costa Rica offshore day 1

Well had my first day fishing in costa rica yesterday! We fished out of the Los Suenos marina on Straight Up, a 26ft Regulator. It was quite rough as the winds were out of the north around 15 sustained. After about an hr run, we were in about 3000ft and put our lines in. About 30 mins later we raised our first pacific sailfish which I let my wife fight. 10 mins later she had caught her first billfish with a total length of 106 inches. In the next hour we had our second hookup which was a 56 inch bull mahi which was well over twice the size of my previous biggest. The capt estimated it to weigh around 55 lbs...what a rush! About an hr later we were hooked up again and my fight was on with my first pacific sail. About 15 mins later we landed a 120 inch sail which the capt said was a better than ave sail for this area. After a long lull in the fishing and a rough ride back to the honey hole, we were hooked up again and my wife was fighting her second sail of the day which ended in a clean tourney release boat side. Apparently it was a slow day by their standards due to the wind but 3 sails and a trophy bull mahi was good enough to best all the other boats that were out that day based on what we heard on the radio so I was more than happy. Seeing how they use teasers here to raise the sails and then feed them by dropping back a naked ballyhoo was awesome and I learned a lot that I plan on using when I get back to Florida on my boat next yr. I will get pics up as soon as I can get them on my iPad to do so and eventually will have a video edited that I'll try and post as well. Check back often and hopefully I'll have them added sooner rather than later.
ltsheets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
White Marlin

...sounds like a very good day...love to see some pictures and video of that trip...
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Sounds like a great day to me. Good luck the rest of the trip
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Trigger

Bait and Switch is exciting, but is primarily used in places where you get 30 shots a day, or are trying to catch IGFA line class records. The prevailing philosophy in the Gulf is that everything has a hook in it.

BTW your trip sounds awesome, hope to try down there sometime.
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Sailfish

That sounds like a great trip to me.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Bait and Switch is exciting, but is primarily used in places where you get 30 shots a day, or are trying to catch IGFA line class records. The prevailing philosophy in the Gulf is that everything has a hook in it.

BTW your trip sounds awesome, hope to try down there sometime.
I hear you there but to me it seemed very effective as long as you have 2 people who work together well. Best we could tell, we hooked every fish we saw that day and it's a good thing being it was a slow day for their standards down here if you can believe that 3 sails and a trophy bull mahi is a slow day. Going out again on Monday but staying inshore this time with the hopes of catching rooster fish and cuber snapper. Stay tuned for more to come.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Trigger

Oh and it was a 7 line spread not including the 2 teasers so there were plenty of hooks in the water at all times. Pretty impressive spread from a 26 ft CC.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Snapper

Good day! Always nice to hear a fishing report this time off year.
Capt. Myles Colley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Trigger

Having trouble getting pics posted using just my iPad so you guys might have to wait till I get home thurs...but I will get pics and hopefully a vid posted as well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in