Cheryl Sue 9/13 report - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Like Tree10Likes

Old 09-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Cheryl Sue 9/13 report

Headed out Saturday at 4 from Gulf Breeze with Bill and Mike from the forum's need a crew need a ride area. BI found out Mike's 50th was Sunday so we just HAD to catch something. Checked my Roff's report Friday night and set a course the started us out a little west of the nipple at the shallow edge of the Edge. Deployed lines as the sun was just coming up. I was grabbing the teasers and explaining that 8.5 knots feels fast but pulling lures with no meat on them it was a reasonable speed. It had not even been five minutes with all of the lures out and still had not really settled in when long center and starboard rigger start making that awesome sound....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. We clear lines, get two belts on, and put two small blackfin in the boat. Great way to start the day!

We headed ENE from there on a temperature line and ended up about 15 miles on the other side of the nipple. No hits. Drop south towards another temp line about 15 miles- no hits. Run west to put us between nipple and spur- nothing. head NW over the spur and towards Pcola pass- still nothing. Finally it less than 100ft of water and made the call to pull in the lures when we hit 15 miles from pass. At 15.25 miles out, as I walk over to start bringing in a squid chain teaser string, starboard rigger ZZZZZZZZZZ and a whole lot more ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. FINALLY! something sizeable. Cleared lines, Mike is in the fight for about another 30 seconds after clearing the lines and he is off. I thought he broke something since Mike did not give him any chance to have slack, but all equipment came back into the boat in tact. Just lost him.

All hits were on pink lures. One was a $10 special flat faced pink soft body with 8/0 double hookset being pulled behind a boone bird, the other hits came on a black bart pink and white 1656 mini pulled behind playaction 5 bird teaser. Maybe next year I will try some meat on the hooks when I am trolling.

Great time thought with Mike and Bill. I hope you guys come back out. You are welcome anytime! At least we got something to the boat, no one gaffed themselves, and the Cheryl Sue got us out and back safely with no rain and no lost/broken gear. Successful day!
jack2, cbarnes91 and fishnhuntguy like this.
panhandlephinsphan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Snapper

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Cheryl Sue 9/13 report-20140913_070255-jpg   Cheryl Sue 9/13 report-20140913_070309-jpg   Cheryl Sue 9/13 report-20140913_070317-jpg  
Old 09-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Snapper

a few more pics....and yes- we did run other lures besides the pink. We tried one side pink and the other side purple/dark colors. Pink was all that anything hit all day for some reason this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheryl Sue 9/13 report-20140913_070320-jpg   Cheryl Sue 9/13 report-20140913_070819-jpg   Cheryl Sue 9/13 report-20140913_070823-jpg   Cheryl Sue 9/13 report-20140913_175145-jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
IT'S ALL GOOD !
Sailfish

Nice. At least they were blackfin and not bonita. Did you guys do anything besides troll ?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Snapper

This year is dedicated to learning how to troll lures and hopefully catch Marlin. So far I have spent a lot of time trolling lures and not so much time catching Marlin, but I have learned that your dreams come to pass in His time, not yours! It will happen.
Bodupp, Kim, bchadcherry and 2 others like this.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Pink has hands down been my best producer for billfish, wahoo and big dolphin this year.

Thanks for the report
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

No need to put meat on those lures. Where you decide to fish is 10fold more important than what you decide to pull. If you don't already have a subscription to Hilton's, I suggest you get one. And if you do, I cannot tell you how much you will learn if you give Tom a call and ask him for some tips on how to best utilize his site and narrow down where to go fishing on your next trip. No secrets with him, and he will put you on fish. Good luck.
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
Sailfish

i don't know a whole lot about trolling but that's some damn good information to start the subject.

jack
jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Pink has hands down been my best producer for billfish, wahoo and big dolphin this year.

Thanks for the report
We were boating a fish last year and one of our Pink and White Islander with Ballyhoo was sitting dead in the water off the rigger.

Don't you know it a Sailfish was on..!!

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
Sailfish

There's only one way to catch a marlin and that's go and try . Fresh tuna dinner never hurts.
MSViking likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in