"Blue Marlana" 6/21/13 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Snapper

Default "Blue Marlana" 6/21/13

First blue water trip of the year for us. We decided to take advantage of the calm seas, and make a quick overnight sword trip. Fortunately, we had a last minute stow-away and good luck charm....Wade Hatten. As always, it was a pleasure having him aboard.

The new engines ran great, as we enjoyed a beautiful evening cruise down to the spur. We decided we wanted to try a new spot to see if we could find a monster sword. There were a few tuna busting in the area, and the bottom machine looked promising. So, we set up our drift with high expectations. (somewhere in the east dumping grounds)

Around 2100, I noticed one of the rod tips lost its bend. (normally there's a slight bend from the heavy weights we use.) I reeled the line, and noticed absolutely no resistance. I told Marlana to "suit-up" while I reeled frantically. As I saw the disco lights nearing the boat, we came tight on what I thought was surely a nice sword.

Marlana grabbed the rod, and immediately said, "this isn't a swordie." Having caught a few herself, I was inclined to believe her. Wade also agreed that we likely had a nice tuna on the line. Marlana made very quick work of the fish, and 22 minutes later we had a nice fish to the boat. I gaffed a VERY green fat YFT, and knew the fish was going to pull off the gaff. Wade scrambled to grab another, and made a perfect second shot, only to see the hook of the gaff break off in the tuna! Well, we dragged the fish in, and quickly iced him down after a couple pics. Weighed at outcast the next day.

Re-set the baits around 2200, and settled in for a cocktail or two. Feeling pretty good about a fat tuna aboard, Marlana and I discussed the next option...killing a fat sword. Typically, I don't like swording on a full moon, but everything seemed right, and we were optimistic.

Marlana and I were lounging around when I saw the deep rod twitch twice. As I said, "here we go again," the deep rod goes ballistic. As line is screaming off the reel, Wade comes flying out of the cabin. (I guess that sound is his alarm clock) Marlana ties into the fish, and we watch this fish easily peel 600 yards off the reel.

We knew this fish would be over 200#, and Marlana tried to get Wade or me to take it. Neither of us had any interest in breaking our old backs, so we urged her to give it a try. She was pretty whooped from her tuna, but she still gave it her best shot. Around 30 minutes into it, she asked me to take over.

So, the old man belted in, and tried to move a very stubborn fish. Once I got its head turned we made some progress, and finally got her to the boat. Total fight time around an hour. Thankfully, Marlana did most of the work, as I can't remember the last fish I had to fight. Wade made a beautiful fly gaff shot, and got the fish close enough for me to stick the top shot in its head. Somehow, with all three of us pulling, we got the fish in the boat.

Wade did some kind of chinese magic, mixed with good old corn-fed muscle, and a very nice sword hit the deck. It's very hard to take pictures of big fish on our boat, as the chair takes up most of the room. We decided to try and hoist the fish on the fighting chair, so we wouldn't have to try and hold them. All three of us struggled for a half an hour to get that sword up there. this fish was HEAVY. Finally, we got it up there and snapped a few pics.

Fish was headed, gutted, and packed with ice. Both fish boxes were full, and it was only 0100. We discussed taking another fish, but Marlana (always the conservationist) said we had enough. Plus, neither Wade nor I had any interest in fighting another fish.

It was VERY hard to watch schools of YFT behind the boat all night, but we enjoyed the beautiful seas, molested the sea creatures in the lights, and truly enjoyed one of the most spectacular moon-lit nights on the water I have ever witnessed. I feel extremely blessed and fortunate to be able to experience this!!!

We headed in early the next day, as the "shakedown" cruise shook-out some issues I need to address on the boat. I guess thats the price we pay to do what we love!

Thanks to DeSantis Marine for the new engines, to my wife for sharing my passion, and for good friends like Wade who bring so much more than boiled peanuts when he steps aboard.

Tight lines...Dave

Hope you enjoy the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
"Blue Marlana" 6/21/13-img_2799-jpg   "Blue Marlana" 6/21/13-img_2810-jpg   "Blue Marlana" 6/21/13-img_2803-jpg   "Blue Marlana" 6/21/13-img_2830-jpg   "Blue Marlana" 6/21/13-img_2813-jpg  

"Blue Marlana" 6/21/13-img_2816-jpg   "Blue Marlana" 6/21/13-img_2825-jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Grand Slam

How COOL! What a trip! Outstanding!
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Grouper

Wow great trip, thanks for the report. "like Wade who bring so much more than boiled peanuts when he steps aboard." - We should all have friends that bring skill and luck aboard the boat. Nice going Marlana

Southbound Apparel
Locally owned, designed and distributed
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Blue man fishing Inc.
Sailfish

Good job!! What a trip!
Tobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

Pretty work, y'all.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Excellent report
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
IT'S ALL GOOD !
Sailfish

I loved reading that report and those are some awesome fish. Thanks for sharing that with us.
jcasey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Grouper

Another gigantic sword, and very nice class tuna I bet the ECBC guys would love to have. You guys are truly the sword king and queen with the last three broadbills possibly totaling 800-900 lbs. Give me the bill I'll make it white for ya..I have two soaking!
Xiphius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Grouper

Very nice y'all, congrats
my3nme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Trigger

Well done, sounded like a great night

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in