Betty B, 7/24/12---WTF!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Default Betty B, 7/24/12---WTF!!!

You know its coming. You've had several good trips in a row and somewhere in the back of your head there is a feeling of "when is it gonna happen", that trip where things just won't go right. Well....

We (Philip,Sam,Ted,Alan and myself) left Barber's around 6:00 and made it to the Nipple around 7ish. Lines were in about 10 minutes before we got hooked up on a Yo-Zuri Bonito. Thinking Wahoo, we were pleasantly surprised to a nice Dolphin. Shortly after, there was a big eruption on the shotgun but missed only to come back a second later and hook up. Ted grabs the rod and after a few minutes the hooks pull. No sweat, theres plenty of action, we'll get him next time. Over the next hour, we get bit 6 more times and lose every fish. 2 were definitely wahoo, judging by the clean cut baits or extremely toothed up leaders, the others were mystery bites.

About 9:30, we get hooked up to a White Marlin. A nice run and a couple jumps and he is on good. Alan starts working on the White and.....slack line, fish is gone. WTF! About 5 minutes later another White shows up and comes up behind a daisy chain and sticks his whole head out as if to see who's on board and then just fades back. We drop back, reel up, move baits, etc, but she is gone. Oh this is just getting better and better!

Find a shrimper working in 450ft. ALRIGHT! We are gonna have some sort of action right!? WRONG! They're shoveling bycatch and nothing is eating it. No Bonito, no Jacks, no Sharks, nothing. Just a trail of wasted stuff floating without anything eating it besides a few birds.

Working back to the SW, we get a hit on the right flat. This time it sticks and we get a nice wahoo in the box. Is our luck gonna change? We pull for a while longer and nothing happens so we move off into deeper water. We find a weak line and every chicken dolphin in the Gulf decides to follow the boat. We catch a few, but run back up the line to hit some bigger patches. All else fails we will come bak and hit these schoolies. We never get anything off the somewhat bigger patches. We also couldn't find the schoolies. Par for the course. We trolled a little while later and after no bites and worsening conditions, we reel them in and try to beat the ominous weather thats forming around us. We reel in and find my Makaira Lena, which has been a murderer lately, missing almost every bit of skirt. We never even heard a click on the reel. Whatever.

We pulled rubber hooks, rigged a lot of ballyhoo just to give them away, broke an outrigger halyard that luckily I had the riggability to fix in those seas with zero additional halyard line, had many other malfunctions and then got absolutely beat to death coming home. I hope that we got all of the failure out of our systems for a while.

Anyway, we made it home with 10 dolphin and a wahoo. We could've sunk the boat in chickens if we wanted to but then I'd have to clean all of them and after the ride back, I'm afraid I would've just thrown them in the water.

Sorry for the rant
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
OSOK
Blue Marlin

One of those days man.....still got some fish in the box though!

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Grand Slam

hummmmm strange how the seas can change in a few miles. I was out until about 10PM last night and the seas were GREAT south of pensacola. ran in at 30 without a problem.

sorry to hear about the rubber hooks, but that's fishing..... next time you'll clobber them.
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Grand Slam

And I thought it was only me.

Just keep on smiling Chris. Some day's that's all you can do.

Next time!!

Joey Welch

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

jlw1972 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Sailfish

As you know all to well, it's called "paying your dues" and we all do! Some days you are the rubber and some days you are the road! At least you are due for a run a bills that stay hooked! And besides a day out there losing fish is better than a day inshore working!

I assume the scattered grass is not as bad as it has been?

Robert
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Squid technician
Grand Slam

It wasn't too bad Robert. When I think about, we didn't have to clear lines much at all.

Realtor, the swells weren't a fraction of the size they were once we were inside of 15 miles. Out past that, it was a close-spaced, white-capped, mulit-directional mess.
Saturday 9-9
Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
OSOK
Blue Marlin

Chris the sword in your avatar looks really familiar....

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperpeeps View Post
Chris the sword in your avatar looks really familiar....
Yeah, you know him. He said he went to school with you.
Saturday 9-9
Old 07-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Trigger

It was definatley rough out there at least u hooked a marlin all we had was a couple wahoo bites with one to show for and 20 small dolphin. We found them on a small busted weed line north west of the nipple
MissKristy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I found that same line. At one point on that line, we had what seriously looked like 1000 chickens around the boat. We were still trolling at 7 knots and they just kept tight and followed us. I would drop a popper down next to the boat and about 50 of them would try to pile on it before I lifted it back out. It was cool, but we didn't feel like dealing with the mess.
Saturday 9-9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in