6/24/16 Blue Marlin - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Like Tree9Likes

Old 06-26-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
JVT
Trigger

Default 6/24/16 Blue Marlin

Based on reading satellite shots of sea surface temperature and water color from Hilton's I made the decision to run to the rip that had developed near rigs and the Steps. I also picked a specific location because there was a little greater temperature change in a about a 10 mile swath of the rip…dropping about 3 degrees rather than about 1.5 degrees...about 18 miles East of the Steps was my target.

As expected when we (just me and buddy, David) got to the spot the rip had moved a little further south, but we put baits in a started trolling. Had a knockdown on the left outrigger just about 5 or 10 minutes into the troll but the fish comes unbuttoned after only about 30 seconds. Bummer…but we have had some action. And we still haven’t gotten to the rip and color change yet. Reset the bait and after about 10 minutes we pass through the temperature change and the water drops from 84 degrees to 81 degrees. And then the left rigger goes off again.

I’m in the cockpit and I grab the rod and I can tell it is a large fish by the pressure and the speed of pulling drag off the 50W 2 speed. My buddy finally clears the other baits and we start the fight for real…and it is kicking my ass. I am not gaining any line and just can’t stop the fish and regain line. After about 20 minutes I tap out and David takes over…he has his own fighting belt and harness so the change-over is much easier because I don’t have to come out of mine. The fish now takes us through the rip and loads about 20 pounds of grass on the line. Worried that it will break with the tension it is under I am able to clear the grass with the boat hook.

The fish has never come to the surface and not made a jump so David is convinced it is a big tuna. I have caught a 150lb yellowfin and this fish was pulling MUCH harder than that did so I am convinced we are hooked to a large blue marlin. Soon after David takes the rod the fish really hauls ass and almost spools us…maybe 50 yards of line left on the reel. We had already been chasing her but really start in earnest now. I am running the boat pretty darn fast so we can put line back on the reel, and if I slow any at all she just takes more. We are able to put most of the line back on the reel…but David has to tap out to me this time.

The fish is fighting “down and dirty” and is just kicking my ass (again) even though I am gaining more line. My fighting belt is just not designed for a fish this size and after about 15 or 20 minutes I tap out again. After David takes back over the line is at a shallower angle, but we are still chasing. Finally I see color and it is still lit up…and a very big blue marlin. We get the double line on the reel three times but I am not able to grab the leader, finally after lots of boat maneuvering I am able grab the leader.

She did not like that and finally showed at the surface by “windshield wipering” her bill…but after not relent and giving her any slack she finally gave up and rolled over on her side. The fish is massive...at least by my standards. Both of us are so wiped out after 1 ˝ to 2 hours of the fight that the pictures aren’t very good. I remove the hook and revive her so we get a clean release and the fish swims away.

We did not get measurements but based on the size of the fish and others I have seen on the dock I estimate the fish at 400 to 450 pounds. One charter boat mate we showed the pics to and has leadered and billed lots of big marlin says it was at least that. Actual weight is irrelevant.

Probably the fish of a lifetime caught on my 25’ Grady-White by 2 novice blue-water guys in their late 50's. Few photos are posted.
Attached Thumbnails
6/24/16 Blue Marlin-20160624_095823-jpg   6/24/16 Blue Marlin-2080-jpeg   6/24/16 Blue Marlin-2076-jpeg  
Bodupp, MrFish, catdad100 and 3 others like this.
JVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 12:00 AM   #2
Grouper

Congrats great fish. What dis she bite?
my3nme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2016, 12:02 AM   #3
Trigger

Nice fish! That's one you will remember for a long time!
Bryan_DESTIN_TRITON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
JVT
Trigger

I'll give you 3 guesses... but if one isn't a Blue and White Ilander with ballyhoo you're wrong.
catdad100 and Mgoody73 like this.
JVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Beautiful fish. Glad it lived to fight another day. Congrats!!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
a
Sailfish

great job!.....sounds like a real team effort........
a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
Mingo

Great story and awesome catch! Looking at the last pic even though the whole fish isnt visable. Using the gloves as scale, I'd guess that as a 600lb blue. Pretty work for sure!
Don White is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

Who whipped who's ass? You know that monster had to be embarrassed.

Great story, good boat work, and an awesome fish. Congratulations.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #9
Trigger

Awesome report. Thanks for taking the time to write that up with such detail. Congratulations.
Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
Mingo

Great fish you guys 400 plus for sure!
george hirst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in