5-15 trip- to elbow- mistakes mistakes mistakes - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Like Tree14Likes

Old 05-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
Snapper

Default 5-15 trip- to elbow- mistakes mistakes mistakes

Was finally able to get out for the first trip of the year. It was just my Son and I so regardless of results- it was an epicly great day!

smooth water, boat ran awesome, all recent upgrades worked great.

If I had read my Hilton's right and not made a bunch of rookie mistakes we would have had a wahoo at least in the box.

Chlorophyl charts were tough the few days prior. I interpreted an older one and decided to hit elbow, double nipple, petronious, steps, elbow, home. Unfortuntely the only part of that equation that was clean water was when we were near double nipple. There were no defining lines, no weed lines. lots of scattered grass. even the rig was dirty water.

Oh well- We had a great time and will get back out as soon as we can.

Trying to post a video
panhandlephinsphan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
Snapper

Video- how do I add a video?
Old 05-18-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlephinsphan View Post
Video- how do I add a video?
Upload on a YouTube account and copy / paste the address from the "player" page to your post.

I was just looking at my sat imaging- it's a mess out there unless you can get really far out! That's why they call it fishing!

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve

Last edited by badonskybuccaneers; 05-18-2017 at 12:26 AM.
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
Snapper

Ok, my first shot at a video. It will get better.

https://youtu.be/fds292fq8Hk
Old 05-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlephinsphan View Post
Ok, my first shot at a video. It will get better.

http://youtu.be/fds292fq8Hk
Not bad- at least you weren't at work! Lol. If you copy directly from the address line at the top of the browser window, and paste it to the post- it should display the player like this...

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
White Marlin

still sounds like a great trip even with the mishaps. at least you no what ya did wrong and I am sure you won't make those mistakes again
badonskybuccaneers likes this.
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Mingo

Darn Panman you almost got him!

As you note in the video keep the boat moving. As a Captain, I feel it is my job to keep the line tight. Anglers get distracted and tired, and the fish is not predictable. So, I keep the boat moving forward a clip fast enough to keep the line tight, but not so fast that the angler can't reel. On your boat with a single outboard that might be 1,500 rpms. Most anglers will complain and ask you to "slow down". I might listen to them, but mostly I let the fish tell me if I'm going to fast 'cause it will keep peeling line out.

I try to keep the line angled at about 15-30 degrees off the aft corner during most of the fight. This gives me the option to turn away from the fish to tighten up the line, or turn toward the fish to allow the angler to make up line. This is the preferred method - don't rev up and slow down as it makes the boat unstable and the fish will act up. As the fish gets closer I angle him off more and more to 45 degrees or more - again to give me most options as captain.

Wahoo do tend to swim with the boat and many times we never take the boat out of gear with heavy tackle. But, warn your wire man - if he is a Big fish he may swim to the boat initially, but when he sees the boat, he is going to make a run for it and your mate needs to be prepared to let go the line and make sure the angle keeps it from wrapping around the rod tip which it wants to do after it has been stretched from the fight.

Also, let me preach a bit about the toothy critter. Wahoo have sharp teeth at the outside edge of their hard mouth. If careless, you will get cut (dead or alive) and have to go back to the dock early. It is imperative that you control the Wahoo at the gaff - don't just plop him on deck. I prefer to gaff near the head, then leave him in the water until my angler can put down the pole, and have the mate get the ice box open. Then, in one swoop he goes directly from the water to the ice box. We give him 20 minutes or so then pull him out for pictures and to fetch our lure back.

Don't worry Panman, we've all made the same mistake. And, many many more than that! So, get the lines back out and catch 'em next time!

Capt. Matt
[email protected]
matttheboatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #8
White Marlin

Good advice. Tough with just two people. You just have to do the best you can when you are undermanned.
Bill Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #9
Snapper

That was awesome feedback. Thank you very much. THe more I do this, the more I learn- the more I realize how much I still don't know.

I had never thought about the angles off of the boat or the delay between gaff, to fishbox, to pictures.

Very helpful.

I also forgot to clear the side of the boat I was planning on baffling. I normally get the pole and rigger out of the way and I completely forgot
WhyMe likes this.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Trigger

Good report pan man and good tip on landing gamefish Matt. You probably helped save someone's fish, and maybe a finger or two. Hang in there pan. You will get em. Beautiful trip with your son on a nice boat beats a day at work anyway. Enjoyed the video!!! "Keep a line in the water" Fishin'Don
Dmoney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in