YFT Fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default YFT Fishing

I am pulling my 31 Cape Horn to Destin this summer for a week or two. How far will I need to go to have a practical shot at some good YFT action (in miles each way).

I am light on the geography there so feel free to go kindergarten on me.
Finatic31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: YFT Fishing

You will have shots at YF tuna around the Spur, 65 miles or so out in 300 fathoms that is roughly due south. The most reliable area for YFT is WSW toward the rigs off the AL. coast, which is a 125 mile run out of Destin. If you want to target Tuna and can, move your trip to Or. Beach, Al,. as the run to the nearest rigs that produce Tuna is 65 miles. The billfishing off Destin is very good, but the most consistent Tuna is to the west.
Magic236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Mingo

Closest Rig is the Petronis about 95-97 miles from east past, mostly blackfin there but YFT at the right time...the are 3 other rigs within a stones throw that hold YFT...Beercan,Marlin,Ram Powell....depends on the sea conditions to which one will produce for you
Pair-a-Dice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Grouper

the petronis will be a 110 mile stature run for you or 95 Nautical miles which is a long run on a center console. YOur best bet for that time of year would be Grande Isle LA for Tuna are Billfish the rental homes are very resonable there and the fishing is outstanding(about 65 miles from Green Canyon) But if this trip is for a family vacation and the other half does not like to fish alot( there isnt much else to do in Grande Isle) then go to Orange Beach
billin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Trigger

damn you guys act like 95 miles is a long run .... we run my buddys 18 foot mckee to ram powell .... done it several times. crushed the yf on the first run only blackies second time...if you need a deck hand or just a freakin idiot on the boat for entertainment send me a pm i live in orange beach and work 7 days and off 7 days so a overnight run out and back is usually what i recommend
Old 03-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Mingo

its not a far run to people who live on the Gulf but it would be a far run for someone who lives inland...i dont know which this guy is but whatever the case...we run outta destin to the rigs in a 30ft center console so he should be fine, i dont reccomend trying to open water Tuna fish at the Spur, there is nothing to hold the fish IF you find them...they like running away from you!
Pair-a-Dice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Trigger

copy that ur better off trying to set a drift and shoot for a broadbill than chase tuna around the pasture....troll for marlin hope for tuna ... set up a drift @ night and troll again the next morn and head in... or go to structure that holds the bait.... yea what para dice just said
Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
BILL_MONEY (3/16/2009)damn you guys act like 95 miles is a long run .... we run my buddys 18 foot mckee to ram powell .... done it several times. crushed the yf on the first run only blackies second time...if you need a deck hand or just a freakin idiot on the boat for entertainment send me a pm i live in orange beach and work 7 days and off 7 days so a overnight run out and back is usually what i recommend
Potential Darwin winner.
285exp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Trigger

running to the floaters without twins and/or a buddy boat is asking for trouble. outboard motors tend to break at the worst times so its nice to have 2 or three or hell even 5 if they're mercs. RP in a mckee craft??? how much extra fuel did ya'll bring?
SUNDAY-FUNDAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Trigger

we brought 10 gallons but itwas still in the tank when we put it on the trialer ...as for the darwin award..... have you seen what they fish on in other less spoiled country's.... we plan our trips according to weather ( for what thats worth ) and make what can be called a calculated risk.callme what you want just dontcall me late for dinner !:grouphug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in