Where to fish first part of March?? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Where to fish first part of March??

My brother and I will be headed to Venice the first weekend in March for our Second attempt at getting into some great fishing action. Our first trip was last Feb. and was cut short by weather that would not allow us out of the river. My question for the seasoned Venice fishermen is this. If you had to pick your spot, where would be the first place you headed that time of the year? The lump or the rigs? I'm not asking anyone for their honey holes, just some information to get going in the right direction. Also, how hard is it to catch bait that time of the year or do you recommend taking it out with ya? Any information is appreciated in advance. Hope the weather is more cooperative this time!!

Thanks guys

Daniel Barck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Where to fish first part of March??

I wouldnt bother wasting your time at the lumps the last two years have not been very productive out there...I would definately go to the rigs if i was going down there that time of year
DonkeyWrangler18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Mingo

There is no hard and fast answer since you are weeks away. Water conditions will dictate your decision. For instance, except for last year, the past decade would tell you to be at the Lump right now. But it's not happening there right now. Ricky (Outaline) reported a great trip on the Mother Lode out in Green Canyon recently. Usually no one's thinking Green Canyon in January, but since the Lump is off, there they went. Even found a blue marlin. Warm water eddies are going to be where you find the fish. Get a Roffer's or subscribe to Hilton's before you go, and let the water tell you where to go. The hot spot could be on our side of the river, south, or west. Best bet is to have access to the latest information from SST's and go from there. Look for hardtails and other bait fairly shallow on your way deep, but you can even catch bait on site if you put your time in. Good luck.
Bryan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

+1 on the hilton's offshore reports and imagery. if you sat on the lump long enough, im sure you would be rewarded. but that could be days of chunking. hit the floaters, and find some of these warm water eddies that are pushing this way. PLENTY of bait though on the shallower rigs (250-300+ water) out of venice
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks guys,

Looks like the rigs it is. Are there any good grouper to be had around any of these rigs during down times, or is the water too deep? I've heard it's hard to get any bait past the Blackfin and sharks. I've also heard alot of reports stating that they caught some good fish throwing "poppers" at surface busting fish. What are the most popular colors?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Trigger

Purple/Black or Flying fish colors.....although I really think color has nothing to do with it. Its the comotion(popping) in the water. Its irresitable to a tuna. Oh and also....roll tide!

Whoo Dat- 58' Jarrett Bay
Chris Hood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Grouper

Land that popper right in a boiland another tuna will think the first one missed and hammer it! Im pretty sure you could catch one on a hot dog if you landed it in the right spot!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Alright Chris, I guess I had that one coming!!!:letsdrink

Daniel Barck
Old 02-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
DanielBArck (2/6/2009)Alright Chris, I guess I had that one coming!!!:letsdrink

Daniel Barck
All in good fun!

Whoo Dat- 58' Jarrett Bay
Chris Hood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
Mingo

The answer to your grouper question depends on where you end up tuna fishing. Sometimes when it is "easy" all you have to do is fish out of south pass and fish Cognac, 109, Lena, Moxie, etc. If that is true, then all those are free-standing rigs and it is not much of a run to the 7-mile rigs or the 12 mile rigs. The so-called 7-mile rigs are in 400-600 feet of water, and although it is not very common, sometimes you'll find yellowfins there. Usually good for blackfins, and although it is deep, you can grouper-fish there. The amberjack are always pretty thick. 12-mile rigs are shallower, easier to fish, and usually productive for lots of rig-dwellers. So, if the tuna are "up close" you can run in just a little bit and find grouper. If you end up having to run to Mars or some of the other deep floaters you are kind of committed and your grouper fishing will just be an afterthought on the way in. March is a good time to target grouper, though. I'll say again, just as a reminder, the Hilton's subscription can pay for itself, especially because Tom updates the locations of all the floaters. Watch their movements up until the time of your trip and you can make a trip plan based upon their positions. Very helpful tool. Good luck.
Bryan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in