Wahoo Trolling Speeds - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 12-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Wahoo Trolling Speeds

OK, I'm new to this and have yet to catch a wahoo. I have some basic questions that I think may have been mostly answered by the earlier post. So, if I decided to head to the Nipple/Elbow area for trolling, is that a good site--and should I set out baits before I get to the deep water? How fast is "fast trolling?" My plans were to put out a couple of skirted ballyhoo rigs off of the outriggers, a couple of skirted lures with a weightoff of the stern, and a cedar plug way backin the middle. Maybe mix in a pink stretch 30 way back there too. Do I need to add a ballyhoo to the skirted lures, or just off of the outrigger lures?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I would hate to get skunked just because I didn't set it up right.
rutinvco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Default RE: Wahoo Trolling Speeds

I've caught wahoo at virtually every speed up to 19 knots but all around 6-8 knots is perfect and also keeps you in that "all-around" speed for bills, dolphin, tuna, etc.

Noticing your mention of a stretch 25 or 30, I don't suggest mixing these with a normal spread if trolling at speeds in excess of 4-5 knots cause these deep divers have the tendency to wash out and spin which can tangle every line in your spread. If you want to pull deep divers go a little slower and to mix it up put out some naked horse ballyhoo. If rigged properly they will swim great at these slower speeds and the bigger size will catch a 'hoos attention better.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Grouper

as far as where to go yes the Nipple and the elbow can be productive. you may also find that the edge 150-300 feet more poductive for wahoo in the fall. Iseldom venture past 300 feet in the fall most of my time is spent working the edge. This time of year if you want Wahoo go to the lumps, horse shoe or any of the other mud domes off of LA that is where the bait is so that is where the toothy critters will be.
billin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Trigger

its going to also depend on what kind of boat you are running as well. its hard, if not impossible, to troll a center console between 10-18 knots. they will try and jump on plane. you will also be drinking petro at an alarming rate, unlike a diesel. like tunapopper said: 7-9 with bonita style lures and plugs. slow it down to 4-5 with streches and bally's. also run a cedar plug waaay back in the slower spread. you'll pick up some bonus blackfin.
SUNDAY-FUNDAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Don't be surprised if a wahoo grabs your cedar plug either. I've caught at least 4 that I can think of on a zucchini colored cedar plug.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Snapper

Quote:
tunapopper (12/17/2009)Don't be surprised if a wahoo grabs your cedar plug either. I've caught at least 4 that I can think of on a zucchini colored cedar plug.
yep...I hada wahoosky on a cedar plug as I was reeling it in to switch lures earlier this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in