Wahoo fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Wahoo fishing

Never wahoo fished, any pointers plan on going end of july
Water Scapes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Wahoo fishing

Do a search on the PFF for Wahoo, that should help. Also, search for Wahoo articles in your favorite saltwater fishing mags. You will find plenty of info...good luck.
Magic236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the info, Leaving out of Orange Beach, have a 04 21 cc trophy just bought from father he never took it out far, woundering if i have enough boat. i think the edge is about 40 miles from pass. it has 100 gallon fuel tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Do a couple shorter test runs first... fill your gas tank, zero the trip counter on your GPS, make a few shorter trips, fill your tank and check how far you've gone. Do the math and get your mpg.

If you're very close and don't want to chance it, tow the boat over to P'cola and launch from there.

Or you can pull into Sherman Cove for gas but only from the water. Maritime Law says they cannot turn you away if you want fuel. I just called and asked.

Sherman Cove channel is narrow and shallow, hug the redmarkers inbound. The fuel dock shares the same dock as the east ramp, it's on the west side of that dock. Prices can be a bit expensive sometimes. They set the price based on how much they paid for it when it went into their tank. It stays at that price till they refill their tank.

Here's their link:

http://www.naspensacola-mwr.com/water/sherman.htm

You'll need Florida fishing licenses while even justtransiting Florida state waters with fish onboard.

Jim
Old 07-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the reply, Have 150 Merc. 2 stroke gets about 1.3 to 1.5 mpg about 120 miles round trip to be safe, cutting it kinda close to the edge, if i find flying fish in closer around 100 to 150' of water will there usally be dalphin and wahoo.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Grouper

I've caught decent Wahoo and some nice Dorado in 100'. The Edge is a good place to troll. Do establish your range, also note that if you troll high speed for Wahoo, you will burn alot of fuel.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

What is a good speed to troll for wahoo, and can you catch dolphin at that speed, or will you just be targeting wahoo
Old 07-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

Your trolling speed will depend on what kind of bait/lure you are pulling. Also the sea conditions. If you are pulling hard lures try 5 knots at first then work your way up to 10 to 15 knots. Watch the lures and make sure they are pulling straight and staying down where you want them. The faster you troll you will have to watch your drag setting. You don't want a Wahoo hitting your lure at 50 mph with a tight drag. The higher the speed in trolling the heavier the tackle you will need.

You can catch Wahoo at regular trolling speeds if you only have lighter tackle in the 30 lb. range. There are articles all over the internet that will give you great information.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
Grouper

You can catch Wahoo and everything else offshore by trolling ballyhoo. A good speed for baits is 5-7KTS. Marlin lures work well between 7- 8.5 KTS. Wahoo plugs work well at 8.5 kts and up. I've caught Wahoo from 4-18KTS. It is hard to troll outboard from 8-13 KTS and it is the least effecient speed. I typically fast troll about an hour on a trip, then slow down the 6-7kts and troll baits with one Wahoo plug in the spread for the rest of the day. You will need to learn what works on your boat and on given lures through trial and error.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Yikes! Not enought gas for me! If you run into any seas, you'll be burning more per mile trudging through them at a slower pace.
seeryfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in