Wahoo - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-31-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default Wahoo

My gaol for the last 3 years has been to catch a Wahoo or manyon my yearly fishing trip to the keys. I am batting .000 so I need help before I go this year. Trolling speed, bait, depth and any tips and tricks would be much appreciated. Also can targeting Wahoo be successfully accomplished while fishing for Dolphin or is the speed of the troll and depthdifferent. I will be in the Keys for mini Lobster season the last week in July if that matters. I don't have out riggers and I use planers to get the bait down. Another big question is what is the best depth for Wahoo?
Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to specslayer
Default RE: Wahoo

i caight mine on a stretch 30 so we were trolling slowish so you could put on or maybe 2 stretch 30s out and then have rigged ballyhoo for mahi
specslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
White Marlin

I tend to do Mahi a little different than most. I catch more (all sizes) with no ballyhoo just a green and yellow Dusky brand skirt. I don't know knots but I troll at a pinch over 1500 rpm is that a good speed for Wahoo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

round here wahoo can be caught realistically just a mile or so off the beach all the way to cuba. buti like 220-300 feet for ideal wahoo fishing round here. down in the keys, if i had to guess, you wanna look for any kind of drop off or ledges. same way we fish for them in the bahamas. bottom drops off so fast we try to fish "the edge" and little cliffs, etc.

PM midnight run-i think he's down near the keys right now
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Snapper

I have had wahoo hit a stretch as well. I have had them hit the stretch and not get hooked up and come back around and eat the ballyhoo. You can get them on the same stuff most troll for Dolphin like ballyhoo with Ilander. Try the yozuri bonitos as well. I like around 300' of water. The edge is always a good spot.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
White Marlin

Thanks. For some reason I thought they were deeper and followed the Dolphin. Last year we were getting the nicer Dolphin schools at about 1000' plus. This year I will try the reefline or just off it. Do most of you troll the top or do you get the bait down? Also what is a stretch?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Grouper

Troll the ledges from 90' to about 300,' especially 180'-300' at 8.5 knots/10 mph with a combination of Yozuri Bonitas, Rapala's etc. While fishing for Dorado in the deeper water include a plug with nice action at whatever speed you troll and you will have a shot at a Wahoo. They can be caught trolling live bait and I've caught them trolling as slow as 5 knots, so you should have a shot while trolling for Dorado. 'Hoo do like edges but are also out in very deep water.
Magic236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
Mingo

If you fishing off Key West ask or find the LAT & LONG to a place called the "WALL" its kinda the equivalent to our Edge...alotta Wahoo and Sailfish are caught around it but for the bigger Dolphin you are better off in the deep water as you already know
Pair-a-Dice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
White Marlin

I'm not going to Key west but I am pretty sure that the wall or ledge runs the entire east coast of Florida. It goes form 45' to 120' inabout thirty yards then a little past that there is another from 120' to 300'+. This year I will be hitting up the humps. I have been hearing about that place forever but never tried it. Thanks for the info Magic.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to amarcafina Send a message via MSN to amarcafina

any tackle shop carries a varity of stretch lures, I like Mann and for trolling speed about 5-6 mph is as fast as you can pull a stretch 25-30 maybe even 4 mph.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in