Venice or Grand Isle - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 11-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Venice or Grand Isle

Here's the deal. Sold and financed a 21' deep V hull CapeCraft CC with a 150 yamaha to a guy that lives N of Grand Isle about 3 yrs ago. He's fallen on hard times and is going to have to give the boat back. I live in central GA and will be heading down to get the boat Nov 22. Would like to do some offshore fishing for wahoo and tuna if the weather is suitable on the 23rd and 24th. I've been 50 miles out with this boat in the Atlantic and the GOMback when I first owned it. I'm a novice blue water angler and have made several trips to the gulf stream off the GA coast in my current boat which is 80nm offshore. I've got an epirb and life raft and am careful aboutthe weather (the boat that I'm going to retrieve is in good shape and I am not looking for a safety lectureabout a single engine small boat). Would I be better off to plan on fishing out of Venice or Grand Isle? I'm alittle concerened about the fog in Venice that Ikeep reading about, but would much rather make the long run ina protected river to the fishinggrounds as opposed to open water like Grand Isle. However, no fog to deal with in Grand Isle.What depth waterare the rigs thatmore consistently hold wahoo in and how long a ride is it to get to them out of Venice (average from the end of the passes) and Grand Isle? I will inshorefish if the weather is nasty, but don't know much about it. Iwould gladly hirea captain from either location. There will be a total of 3 going (me, my son, anda fishing buddy). I wouldcharter a boat andcaptain, butthe guy going with mehas been hit with lots ofbills this month anddoesn't need to spend the cash. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Go_Sic'm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default RE: Venice or Grand Isle

Pm sent.
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Snapper

If you don't have radar then Venice is not even an option unless you have a death wish...
atlantacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

That's the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks. Anyone second that? Don't want to have to spend the night out on the water tied to a rig. Don't wanna play "dodge barge" in zero vis in the river either.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Snapper

I prefer to fish out of Venice (shorter ride to good water) however if you are not familiar with all the passes AND as mentioned you do not have a radar I would not advise it in the winter. Fog can set in and you can't see anything at all for a few hours. I love Venice but had radar on my boat so felt somewhat safe in the river and the passes.
dpewitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Looks like I'm leaning towards Grand Isle. I would like a few more details on the fog in Venice. Can it roll it at any time, or is fairly predictable at what times it occurs...(late evenings/early mornings).Guess I want to knowwhat the fishing window is, if there is one at all in late November without radar.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Snapper

All depends on water and air temperature. If it is a low humidity chilly day count on fog. You should be ok in November assuming it does not get real cold, from a fog standpoint.
dpewitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Sailfish

The fog in Venice is the worst I have seen. If you are not familiar with the river and dont have radar I would not try it. You might get a window with no fog but then again you could be coming home and hit pea soup at the mouth of the river and be in a bad situation quick
Travis Gill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Grouper

I wouldn't want to go offshore in the boat until I had a chance to get it back and give it the once over. A lot can get broke in one trip, let alone 3 years. Change the impellors, lower unit oil, go over the electronics and connections. The boat repairs and maintenance may have been at the bottom of the list for someone on hard times.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

I really appreciate all the input. Grand Isle it is. If by some miracle we get reasonably goodseas during my two day fishing window, normally howfar offshore aresome rigs holding wahoo and possibly tunaout of Grand Isle?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in