Trolling Spread For A Smaller Boat - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree7Likes

Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Trolling Spread For A Smaller Boat

We are planning a trip either out to the Spur, or to the closer rigs before it gets too cold. As a beginner bluewater fisherman, picking a trolling spread for this trip is a daunting tasks.

We've trolled a very small amount at the Edge without much success, but granted it was never in really clean water. In our 25' HydraSport, we ran 4 rods at around 5-7 knots. We all agreed that variety was the spice of life, so we ran:
- Yo-Zuri Bonita on the short corner
- Blue/Pink Islander sometimes with rigged ballyhoo on the short rigger
- Stretch 25 on long corner
- Pink/White Super Chugger on the long rigger.

Once I pick up another trolling combo, I was thinking of adding a cedar plug way back on the shotgun, but for the time being, these are basically the 4 lures I'm running with some variety to colors.

Do you think this is a good spread for beginner bluewater fishermen? What would you change?
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

YouTube Channel Link
iJabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
Trigger

You can troll a lot more from your boat 7-9 lines are very doable including teasers.
Reel Estate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Estate View Post
You can troll a lot more from your boat 7-9 lines are very doable including teasers.
Yeah I have no problem adding more lines, we are just lacking the equipment to do so. Right now we're running with 2 Penn 50TWs and 2 Shimano TLD 25s.

We have 3 Senator 4/0s that we could technically troll with, but they're loaded up with braid at the moment and I've always been told that trolling with braid is a good way to lose a bunch of fish.
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

YouTube Channel Link

Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

I used to troll all the time and will say I started to add more meat. In that I mean less plugs and more fish. Whether it is mullet strips, ballyhoo, bonito strips. Something, anything is bound to help. As far as the 4/0's go, there are real fish out here that can hurt your feelings quick and the law of the sea is they normally find your weakest link, or in this case smallest reel. I even liked trolling whole swimming mullet, those things are bad to the bone and fish love them. We would also skip a plain ballyhoo, and that works well too. If something isn't working don't be afraid to try something different.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
Trigger

We fish on a 31 cape horn and typically run 5 lines - 1 on each rigger, 1 on each corner and one way back. We catch a bunch of fish with this setup and it's a whole lot easier to manager for a small crew on a monkey boat.

I would personally get the kinks worked out on a smaller spread and grow from there if you think you need to.
boomshakalaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshakalaka View Post
We fish on a 31 cape horn and typically run 5 lines - 1 on each rigger, 1 on each corner and one way back. We catch a bunch of fish with this setup and it's a whole lot easier to manager for a small crew on a monkey boat.

I would personally get the kinks worked out on a smaller spread and grow from there if you think you need to.
I agree with that 100%. My dad and I used to troll a bunch, and one time out of Sebastian, just him and I had all 6 rods go down at the same time. All with sails going in different directions. Lost all of them due to chinese fire drill. Another time had 5 go down with all whaoo's. Managed to hang on to 1. More equals less if you are not set up to handle when insanity strikes. It is better to find rips, cross currents, birds working, bait pods, weedlines, floatsum and color / temp change to up your success, not add rods and create further chaos.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #7
Trigger

What I would do is try and troll 4 lines at first and you'll have good luck getting meatfish on this spread such as dolphin, wahoo, and tuna. If you get a 5th combo, add it to the short corner with the pink/white super chugger.

1 - Left Short Corner (Yo-zuri Plug)
2 - Left outrigger if you have one (Illander with a ballyhoo)
3 - Right outrigger if you have one (Ballyhoo with a small flashy duster)
4 - Shotgun (Any ballyhoo rigged either illander, naked, or flashy duster)

Attached is the ballyhoo with flashy duster that we usually run three of, one on each outrigger and one way way back. Its rigged with 80lb flourocarbon and I've caught everything under the moon on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Trolling Spread For A Smaller Boat-screen-shot-2017-10-11-8-58-24-pm-png  
iJabo likes this.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:16 AM   #8
Trigger

I agree with fish fighter as far as managing the 4 lines that you have now before you start to add any. As for adding a 5th line (if possible) I would do it with a shotgun like boom mentioned. Run the shotgun bait (small) about twice the distance of your longest rigger to give that (lone bait dragging behind) look.

As for using a senator for a trolling reel, I have found (way back in the day) a senators drag system is not smooth enough for trolling. the drag seems to release line in a jerking motion where your tld25 or lever drags will be a smooth and steady motion. I would try picking up another trolling reel before trying that 5th line.

Baits:
We run a jetted and a plunger off the short and long corner. These baits are literally 30' and 40' from the back of the boat. Can't tell you how many wahoo have sky'ed out of the water after these baits. The riggers consist of a slant and a flat face lure. The shotgun for us is a small round flat face. When trolling these baits look for the bait to come up and grab air in maybe 4-5 second intervals, all except the shotgun. On occasion switch some popping baits for lures that present deeper in the water column, such as a weighted bullet or a yozuri bonito. When choosing a color for lures, I like to use my darker lures on a bright and sunny day and my brighter colored lures on a cloudy day. We rig at least half of our lures with a ballyhoo combo to get the scent and the action of the ballyhoo with the lure.

trying different techniques will definitely help you find fish and once you do keep a ledger of what you caught and how you caught it. Write down what lure it was on, baited or not, what position, where in the wave, trolling speed, did you catch it on a rip, was it in open water or was it over a ledge. Anything you can to help you repeat that success in the future.

Lastly, when your looking for quality lures. I am the owner of Tailwalker Lures. I personally hand make each lure in my small shop beside my house. I currently offer 6 different trolling lures that would fit each position mentioned. My lures are made of a ballistic resin that won't crack if dropped, will not yellow, are keel weighted to run true, have rubber hooksets, and chafe tubing in the center. The bottom line I offer a lure that's compariable, if not better than the big names for a better price. Check out my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TailWalkerLures/ and if you find anything that interest you please pm me and I will help you in any way I can.
I'm not asking you to buy your whole setup from me but give us a shot with a couple lures and I guarantee you will be pleased with the quality and the ability of Tailwalker Lures.

Thanks,
Bryan
iJabo and hebegb again like this.
Bryan_DESTIN_TRITON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
Snapper

These are all very quality tips. We will be utilizing them, thanks guys!

One other question, it seems like everyone seems to be recommending to run a ballyhoo on our lines instead of just naked lures. Do most people brine their baits, or run them as is?

YouTube Channel Link
Old 10-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJabo View Post
These are all very quality tips. We will be utilizing them, thanks guys!

One other question, it seems like everyone seems to be recommending to run a ballyhoo on our lines instead of just naked lures. Do most people brine their baits, or run them as is?
Everyone around here pretty much uses ballyhoo in their spread. We usually will run ballyhoo/ilander combos on the riggers and lures on the corners or maybe a rigged mullet. Maybe a bird/squid rig with a naked ballyhoo coming off of it for the center way back. You just run the ballyhoo as they come out of the packs, no brining. But you should probably take someone with you that knows how to rig one up properly, that's the key to it running right.
boomshakalaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in