Swordfish terminal tackle - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 08-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Kim
Blue Marlin

Default Swordfish terminal tackle

I know I'm asking this question in the right place. What's the trick to keep your bait from twisting the leader up on your main line when deep dropping for Swordfish??

Kim
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Swordfish terminal tackle

A slow, controlled drop. Wal-mart has those little line counters for cheap too. A great way to really know where your baits are sitting at.
HaterAide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Snapper

Make sure you are using ball bearing swivels
Capt. Myles Colley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Trigger

Ball bearing swivels a must -- I also use a clear plastic straw on the end of the leader form the main line, also make certain your bait doesnt spiral downwards.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I use 50 to 100 feet of 200 to 300 pound leader with ball bering snap swival on one end and a three way on the other end. The three way is attached to a ballbering snap on my main line. Off that three way I have about two feet of fifty yo thirty lb mono attached to my waight. On the other end I snap my prerigged baits to (the say way you would attach at night). But the most important thing is to keep your boat in gear when dropping the bait. Once you hit the bottom spin the boat and reel in any slack. This has worked well for me. However I have yet to put one in the boat during day light hours.
Ron Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Snapper

If you're deep dropping for daytime swords to the bottom then drop the bait with sash weight by the hook, rigged to break off once you're to the bottom. At night time, a three way swivel and semi-slow drop.
BlueH20Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
Grouper

Over 50% of the swords we've caught have been while the line is going down or moving. Drop it slow and if it stops dropping or something seems weird, reel, reel, reel!!!! Usually you will be able to say "Fish on" if you reel fast enough to set a hook!!!!
Chris Couture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
Squid technician
Grand Slam

The 100% sure fire way of making sure it doesn't spin and tangle is to swim it down. Then you can untwist it if needed.

We always lower them at a controlled pace to prevent spin and this works best. I've experimented with different leader setups but I'd rather lower it a little slower than have a 50ft. leader to deal with. Ditto what chris said, a lot of swords will hit while adjusting baits. Some guys will drift the same baits without checking them at all the whole night. You never know whats happening down there with smaller fish and squid pecking at your bait and I think that the movement of lights throught the water column while checking baits will increase the odds of a bite.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Sailfish

Spreader bar with the weight tied to the bar with real light line to break away.Point the boat up current and drop in and out of gear till it gets to the bottom.Use floss to tie the spreader bar to the main line or you can slip some dacron over the leader about 5 inch pieces to give you some loops to tie the spreader bar to.we use 300 lb mono leader and put the bar at the end of the leader.i dont think swords are leader shy.Make sure you use a light even during the day 1200 feet down is dark.
-=Desperado=- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
tunapopper (8/22/2009)The 100% sure fire way of making sure it doesn't spin and tangle is to swim it down. Then you can untwist it if needed.

We always lower them at a controlled pace to prevent spin and this works best. I've experimented with different leader setups but I'd rather lower it a little slower than have a 50ft. leader to deal with. Ditto what chris said, a lot of swords will hit while adjusting baits. Some guys will drift the same baits without checking them at all the whole night. You never know whats happening down there with smaller fish and squid pecking at your bait and I think that the movement of lights throught the water column while checking baits will increase the odds of a bite.

One of the biggest reasons i got a semi rocky boat with 40 foot riggers.The riggers with the right rock is gonna make swords go nuts.
-=Desperado=- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in