spreader bars - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
Grouper

Default spreader bars

I'm thinking about adding a spreader bar into the mix and i'd be interested in hearing an opinion on bars that work. I've had the opportunity to run a few different bars, and once we get them untangled, they seem to run awesome! When it comes to teasers, we usually run a bumper teaser on the short corner, and a squid chain on the long corner. Does anyone have any brands they swear by? What do you run ? squid? ballyhoo?
bombtosser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Trigger

pM Ms Yellowfin as he can give you all the info you need. He swears by them and they do work....
superchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
Snapper

you obviously know what I run....the ballyhoo spreader looks good. I have personally seen wahoos and BF tunas tear it up, but never seen a billfish actually come up on it. I'm a bit reticent to pull the bumper teaser with outboards because it is so erratic. I'd like to try one of those weighted dredges that are just strips with fish prints on them at some point just to see if they produce. Anyone else use dredges on here?
atlantacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
Grouper

yeah cameron, you're the reason i'm looking at buying a set of bars. i hate dicking with them but they make me hungry watching them run, i know the fish have to like them!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

We bought a "bucket teaser" dredge from tournament cable for use this season, though unfortunately we have not had many chances to try it out. It looks GREAT in the water, and I don't see how fish wouldn't be attracted to it. That said, our two trips this year yielded no pelagic fish (with or without dredge deployed), so the jury is still out. I will say that it seems to be a very well designed product, and it comes with its own very handy storage bucket that makes storage a breeze.

Anybody use the Archer spreader bars (run directly on fishing line with hooked chase bait)? The dredge is great but it is a teaser pure and simple - we run from teaser reel through the short rigger eye - and the idea of having a small bait pod directly in front of a rigged bait is intriguing.
LRAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Sailfish

Pull some real dredges with mullet or ballyhoo and now we're talking!
Travis Gill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Grouper

i've read up on the archer spreader bars, and they look like they are top sh*t. I'd be looking at a 4 or 6" squid bar. Have you guys seen his ruckus bars? they are nasty nasty in the water!!! i'd eat the damn thing. Freespool give me more info on running a real dredge, i've always considered them the setup when sailfishing south fl. how well do they pull, and how much work are they to keep trimmed up with mullet? how have you pulled they dredge when you guys are fishing?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
Sailfish

They do require quite a bit of time and effort to rig but the results are worth it when white marlin or sailfishing. You have to rig a ton of baits beforehand but once your out there all you have to do is check it every so often and replace the baits that are washed out. Another alternative if you dont have the time to rig a ton of baits is to fish real ones on the back and outsides and rubber baits in the middle where the fish is less likely to to get one in his mouth.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Grouper

freespool., are you running dredges on each corner or just one in the spread? with a following lure with a hook in it? or are you just running a lure a bit back from it like you would a bumper teaser?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
Sailfish

Double dredges are even better I like to run a mullet dredge off one side and a ballyhoo one off the other or just run one if you want. No lure attached they are strcitly a teaser and without a good electric teaser reel can be a pain in the butt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in