Satellite Phones - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

Default Satellite Phones

I am considering a Sat phone. Probably the Iridium 9555. How many of you have Sat phones and what reccomendations do you have?

Thank You

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Satellite Phones

i know if you have at&t you can set your regular cell phone up for international roaming and it works great out there and its A LOT cheaper than any sat phone they really stiff you on the way the do there minutes and they expire....i think w/ the international roaming minutes are anywhere from 2.50 - 3.50
rigrunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Sailfish

I have used a satellite phone for offshore fishing for years. Personally it is one of the most important things I carry offshore to me. I initially owned the Globalstar phone, which worked quite well for years until they started having satellite degradation issues. At that point they became nothing more than an expensive paperweight. Do Not under any circumstances buy a Globalstar phone. ( I threw mine away!) They advertise great rates, but what good is that if you can't get connected. It had gotten to where I could not get connected no matter how many times I tried for days on end.

Iridium is the other hand held system out there. It works perfectly everyday, every time. It is more expensive, but worth it. I have owned the 9505a for four years now and swear by it. I keep it in a waterproof Pelican box until I get on the boat. On the boat I use the optional magnetic mount antenna which I place on top of my t top with a magnet underneath for additional holding strength. I then bought a universal holder suction cup mount that I attach to the front of my overhead electronics box and put the phone in it with the cable to the antenna going out to the top of the t top. The standard flip up antenna will "see" from under the t-top, but the mag antenna is better. so much so that I bought the upgraded mag antenna with a 5 meter cable and it is even better, makes for clearer less distorted talking. My wife and i communicate via texting (you send the text to an email address) when I am offshore as it is easy and to the point. She keeps me abreast of weather patterns that I might not know about, as well as just staying in touch. If I catch something special or otherwise need to talk I just call. I paid around $1200 for the handset and now pay $39/month for service that includes 30 min of airtime. I am fairly certain that texting is free or at least texting to the phone is. I use it all the time in the summer months and my bill never exceeds the base rate. Additional minutes are $.75 each.

Unless you step up to inmarsat or other permanent setup, Iridium is the only way to go. The new 9555 is smaller than the 9505 and uses simpler connectors for AC power and appears to be more weatherproof.

I would most definitely get the Pelican case as well as either the mast mount antenna or the optional upgraded mag antenna for improved reception.

Mscontender
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Sailfish

whatever you do stay away from GMPCS for service
Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Grouper

Funny what you said about globalstar .

I still have one and its useless. Works one minute , then doesnt ?????

they claim they have sat issues , so why sell the dang phones ?

I need to do something cause my paper weight wont help save me if i need it .

Any chnace the other providers can allow me to use my exiting phone other than globalsatar ?
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
rigrunner05 (9/10/2009)i know if you have at&t you can set your regular cell phone up for international roaming and it works great out there and its A LOT cheaper than any sat phone they really stiff you on the way the do there minutes and they expire....i think w/ the international roaming minutes are anywhere from 2.50 - 3.50
where are you getting signal 40 to 100 miles out if not near a rig ?

My cell works around some rigs , but at sea forget it ?

so how are you doing this ?
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl2_lblFullMessage>i know if you have at&amp;t you can set your regular cell phone up for international roaming and it works great out there and its A LOT cheaper than any sat phone they really stiff you on the way the do there minutes and they expire....i think w/ the international roaming minutes are anywhere from 2.50 - 3.50 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I don't this guy has a clue about where we are fishing. You have to have a tower in range to use a cell phone and I've never seen one offshore...!!

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Grouper

you have to be within about 15 miles of any oil rig....
Old 09-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
Grouper

oh my bad.... i thought you were talking about fishing on lake martin... i should have known better since you have an "ocean master" hence the name...silly me
Old 09-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
Sailfish

When I signed up for Iridium service I asked about using the Globalstar phone with Iridium and it was a no go as the technologies are very different. They did offer a $200 trade in against the 9505a but if you use the trade in you cant use the "sale" price of $200 off. Ha Ha what a joke that was, so I just put mine in the trash and used the sale price.
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in