Rig trip questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes

Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Rig trip questions

First of all, I’m just looking for information and not trying to do a trip until I’m ready and experienced enough.

With that said, I’m looking for some advice.
Would a 25’ Century Walk around with a 150 gallon tank and 250 suki be able to make that trip in your opinion?

Do you leave the engine running at all times or can you tie up to the rigs?

Always someone awake and on watch? I’m assuming this is a stupid question and of course you’ll want someone awake at all times.

We have all the CG safety equip plus a go bag, sat phone, floats and life vests.

Would you recommend anything else safety wise?

Thank you for all the input as always.
MacWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Grand Slam

See below responses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacWilliams View Post
First of all, I’m just looking for information and not trying to do a trip until I’m ready and experienced enough.

With that said, I’m looking for some advice.
Would a 25’ Century Walk around with a 150 gallon tank and 250 suki be able to make that trip in your opinion? Yes, but buddy boat a few times... Pick the best weather days.... study the weather close....

Do you leave the engine running at all times or can you tie up to the rigs? I alternate (twins) but if there isn't any current and i'm over the fish, I shut them down, not advisable to tie up to the rig...

Always someone awake and on watch? I’m assuming this is a stupid question and of course you’ll want someone awake at all times. pull off the rig a mile or so, shut down take turns napping

We have all the CG safety equip plus a go bag, sat phone, floats and life vests.

Would you recommend anything else safety wise? I take two (2) battery jumper packs with me. Just in case the batteries die....

Thank you for all the input as always.

Last edited by Realtor; 04-25-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thank you for that. Makes me feel a lot better and I will definitely get some battery jump packs.

So, people normally go out later the first day and stay all night then come back the following day at some point correct? Is this because tuna turn on more at night?

Old 04-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacWilliams View Post
Thank you for that. Makes me feel a lot better and I will definitely get some battery jump packs.

So, people normally go out later the first day and stay all night then come back the following day at some point correct? Is this because tuna turn on more at night?

Yes, I mostly leave Pensacola about 12-1 in the afternoon, 4 hour or so ride out (stop on a few spots in route) this way you have time to jump from rig to rig and figure which one you want to call home for the evening bite. The Tuna are most always there, however, during the day, I have found them to be deeper. the lights of the rigs seen to bring them up to the surface (or not so dang deep) after the bait. They can be caught most all the time, but I've had best success evening, and some in the early early morning. during the dark hours...
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
Yes, I mostly leave Pensacola about 12-1 in the afternoon, 4 hour or so ride out (stop on a few spots in route) this way you have time to jump from rig to rig and figure which one you want to call home for the evening bite. The Tuna are most always there, however, during the day, I have found them to be deeper. the lights of the rigs seen to bring them up to the surface (or not so dang deep) after the bait. They can be caught most all the time, but I've had best success evening, and some in the early early morning. during the dark hours...
Okay, that makes sense about the lights pulling them up. What baits do you guys use out that far? Would pinfish, cigs, hardtails still be the best out that far? Thats what we use and do well with at the edge.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Hardtails, cigs, hering all work. Chunk bonita or blackfin, all types of jigs. Trolled Yummee Flyers and naked ballyhoo all produce.
Mullit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #7
RSD
Mingo

Hardtails cigs and chunking black fin and Bonita
RSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #8
Trigger

some suggestions for overnight trips from someone who's been on 10 or 15 out of Texas for tuna at our rigs.
Get some sleep. Take turns on the way out and back to take an hour or two nap. It'll be easier when you get back to the dock when it comes to cleaning fish/the boat etc. Take what you need but there's no need for everyone on board to bring 10 rods/reels. Bring what you'll use. Room on most boats is at a premium. Bring an extra set of clothing on the boat plus another set in your vehicle for the way home. Test all drags/knots at home before you leave. Bring plenty of ice. There's nothing worse than running low on ice when you have valuable tuna in the boat. Make a trip plan and stick to it. Let your wife/friends know where you'll be and approximately when you'll return. Fuel should be considered at 1/3 for the way out, 1/3 for the way back and 1/3 in reserve. Learn how to properly bleed a tuna before you go. Make sure while you're out there that someone is ALWAYS fishing. You can't catch anything if you don't have a line in the water.
photofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
Blue Marlin

EPRIB. Don't leave home without it.
Sea-r-cy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by photofishin View Post
some suggestions for overnight trips from someone who's been on 10 or 15 out of Texas for tuna at our rigs.
Get some sleep. Take turns on the way out and back to take an hour or two nap. It'll be easier when you get back to the dock when it comes to cleaning fish/the boat etc. Take what you need but there's no need for everyone on board to bring 10 rods/reels. Bring what you'll use. Room on most boats is at a premium. Bring an extra set of clothing on the boat plus another set in your vehicle for the way home. Test all drags/knots at home before you leave. Bring plenty of ice. There's nothing worse than running low on ice when you have valuable tuna in the boat. Make a trip plan and stick to it. Let your wife/friends know where you'll be and approximately when you'll return. Fuel should be considered at 1/3 for the way out, 1/3 for the way back and 1/3 in reserve. Learn how to properly bleed a tuna before you go. Make sure while you're out there that someone is ALWAYS fishing. You can't catch anything if you don't have a line in the water.
I'll look up some YouTube videos on how to bleed tuna. So, if you catch a tuna thats too big for the fish box what are those green towel things I've seen people drape over them?

I've got my eye on a EPIRB and will make sure I have one before making that trip. The ice plan was to fill my 3 fish boxes/ beer boxes with ice and supplies. Then have a big cool strictly for ice which will definitely hold it longer than we will be out there. Though I do hear tuna burn through ice..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in