rig help? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree3Likes

Old 06-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default rig help?

wanting to try and make my first rig trip. start at the
Petronius and go from there. maybe the next one out. idk what it is. trying to do some research and plot a course. is there a web site i can get my coordinates from to the rigs. been googling and i keep getting different coordinates.
or can some send me some numbers on where the closest rigs are from perdido pass?
thanks guys
madfent25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
White Marlin

Just my 2 cents first thing I would do is find where the good water is then start there/at the rigs in good water.
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

I don’t know where good water is... I’m just wanting to go and learn and try. Kinda limited on gas.. got start somewhere. Just wanted to make sure I had the right coordinates is all.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
Grand Slam

buddy boat out, keep watching the PFF.... limited on gas? how much do you carry?
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Got 100 gallon tank. I should be ok. Just don’t have room to be wasteful
Old 06-29-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Petronius 29* 13.739 87* 46.86
The water looks pretty bad out there right now, I would say you don't have the fuel to get to any rigs in clean water at the moment and I would be worried about going to the Petronius with only 100 gals. Be careful and know that it is enough don't just think it is, pop us thunderstorms like we get this time of year can cause you to burn a lot more fuel avoiding the a storm or slugging though one.

Angler 2600
fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
Snapper

Be careful with that 100gal capacity. What type of fuel economy are you getting? We had 110gal capacity, on a very fuel efficient single screw inboard, and would carry 4 x 15gal drums with us on the close rig trips. Always made it back with fuel to spare, but on a couple of the rougher trips we made it back on fumes. If it kicks up while you're out there you will consume drastically more fuel.

Most people will urge you to go farther, but honestly the close in rigs are a great starting point, just don't expect to load the boat with big yellowfin.

The problem with Petronius and the other close in rigs is really sharks. It is very difficult to actually land a blackfin tuna at petronius b/c of the sharks. Marlin seems much better and beer can as well.

Our first few rig trips were petronius, marlin, beer can. We managed a few blackfin, but more importantly we managed to get our feet wet in the rig game and learn the ropes. Soon we were venturing further to drill ships, floaters...etc. A couple of boat upgrades later and last weekend we spent 3 days and 3 nights with 180mi being our furthest point offshore. We also burned 1000 gals of diesel.

Start small, work your way up. Be sure you have enough fuel and ice. A good rule of thumb for fuel is 1/3 out, 1/3 back, 1/3 reserve.

Have a few bean bags for you and your crew to crash on at some point. You do need to sleep a little out there, even if it's a couple hour nap.

Go ahead and bite the bullet for ripcharts, hiltons or roffs charts. Trust me, they seem a little expensive, but they will save you money in fuel on your first trip. Can you catch tuna at the rigs when the water is not perfect? yes, but if it's chocolate milk (like it is now) it's probably not worth the fuel money to make the trip. Also, sometimes one or two rigs are in good water and the others are not. If you have the charts you can go straight to the good water rig and not waste time hitting them all.

Education is not cheap, and education is not quick. It is a completely different world out there. If you want to conquer it yourself expect to spend some money and time doing it. Or you could take a quicker route and hire an experienced capt to join you on your trip.

Out there you are limited on Fuel, Ice and TIME. Be mindful and conservative with all 3.
Magic236 likes this.

Last edited by rustybucket; 06-29-2018 at 08:19 AM.
rustybucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
Grand Slam

not knowing your boat... I burn about 100 - 110 Gallons, I run around the ram, Marlin, beer can and the Petronius used to spend time at the 255 when it was still there.... 100 gallon tank is pushing it. I carry 150 Gals 25 Ft GW with twin 150's
rustybucket likes this.
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2018, 09:31 AM   #9
Snapper

Pretty sure I still have our old 15gal barrels if anybody is interested in them. Think I paid $20/ea for them, added valves for filling ($10/ea). Would be happy to let them go for $15/ea.

They were used with gas and diesel over the years.
rustybucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

May have already been mention, but be sure you have all your safety "stuff". Rig trips put you a long way out there. Epirb, seatow, satellite phone, and a offshore life raft. Like earlier mentioned, these trips dont come cheap but safety is everything! 100g of fuel really limits the "rig trip" experience. If seas get spotty, even 2 to 3's and based on how your boat can run through them, can really effect your mileage. Just something to keep in mind.
34trip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in