Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Overnighter at the steps/nice mako

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Frenchy 
#1 ·
Left Sherman cove aboard the Reel Mojo around 09:00 on Sunday, target was sword fish, did some bottom bumping as we were heading South in calm seas, a bit cool but really nice weather, action really begun with the deep dropping, caught a nice yellow edge and the biggest tile I have seen so far, anyways picked up a few fish then trolled from the nipple heading to the steps wihtout any takers... arrived at the steps around 20:00 and were setup shorlty, nice drift with a bit more East wind than expected, water was very clear, could see the strobe dropping until about 80ft deep, got a bite righ off the back but did not hooked up, just missed the hook, seemed a bit violent for a sword, a while later same bite and ended up with a BFT. Around 01:00 on Monday we did get a good bite, full of hope it seemed like we had a good sword !!! ended up reeling in a nice mako, 5ft long to be exact, bit tricky to handle the beast but got in on board, found it had a nice hook from a previous fight, might have been the one trrorising Aquaviva ?? Nothing else happened, we started chunking about 05:00 for two full hours without raising anything...moved on towards home trolling without success. Did stopped a few times along the road to pick up the biggest triggers I have seen, but I mean big, good job Ed anf Jack. All and all great trip with good action, a nice mako, my first and a big cooler full of fish, tile/scamp/yellowedge/wsnapers/triggers/bft/amalcos, great weather and great crew. Just so nice to be out there. Sorry no pictures but will ask Ed to post some, still struggling with the sizing I guess.Thank you to Ken for the invite, still working on my boat so it is nice to get out !!!
This is my opportunity to thank the forum members who post about the conditions out there, I always enjoy reading the posts and is a good input when deciding where to go.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wrong section , sorry, but in a rush...too many things to do, not enough time !!!

#14 · (Edited)
I could be way off on this, but I have been told that most sharks do not urinate in the traditional sense, but rather diffuse their liquid waste thru their flesh, therefore the strong ammonia taste. Why Makos are different, I have no idea, but I do know that a lot of people swear a Mako is as good as swordfish, maybe it's their diet?

#16 ·
Mako is a firm white meat that is very similair to sword. we cooked some on the broiler with italian dressing , sprinkled with crab boil- There was no ammonia taste or smell. Actually no smell at all. Have more tomorrow night and I have a choice in the freezer of jack, snapper, trigger, tuna and sword, Indicates how we enjoyed it

Thks for the ncie comments ed

#18 ·
The mako is delicious!!

Did marinate some mako steaks in a home made olive oil based vinaigrette as recommended by Clay the shark killer... excellent table fare in my book,comparable to sword fish indeed. Big thank you to Ed for posting the pictures, please come by the house Ed, we'll have a few brew and you can tutor me on posting pictures !!
Craig if going back out prior to the 15th of next month and need a crew, please let me know, would be my last trip before going to spend the holydays offshore(rather not think about it!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.