Offshore, Clueless in Mobile - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bama Fish Head
  • 1 Post By SnapperSlapper

Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
Constitution Conservative
Sailfish

Default Offshore, Clueless in Mobile

OK, I got a invite to fill a slot on a 22' going offshore on Sunday.
I've never been offshore, pretty excited to be busting that cherry.
Anyways, they say they've all the trolling gear, but I should bring a bottom rod and something to throw live/dead bait and/or lures.

Please suggest to me 3-5 lures to bring to throw at whatever shows on a weedline/debris or chum line.
Should I just tie them straight to my mainline, use a 50-80# Floro leader or wire leader on lures?

I've a few spinning outfits that should work, which to bring?
Penn 7500ss with 16# mono, a Penn 8500SS with 30# mono and a Penn 9500SS with 65# braid.

For bottom fishing or chunking (maybe?) I could maybe bring my Penn 114HLW 6/0, 450+ yards of 50#mono. Its on a Penn Mariner 50-100, but I've a 30-50 I could throw it on.

Last edited by ChileRelleno; 06-30-2016 at 11:02 PM.
ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
Mingo

First off, ask him how many rods does he want on the boat? If you showed up with 5 rods on my boat I'd politely ask you to leave at least 3 of them. 22 foot gets awfully small.
I think the 9500 and 9/0 are overkill. That 8500 combo would be great for jigging aj's wih a diamond jig or big curly tail jog and tossing a live bait on a drift line or up against a rig, shrimp boat or anchored ship for a cobia. Rig up a couple king rigs and toss if yall stop to bottom fish. Bring the 7500 and a gotcha and a couple small bucktail jigs to toss at any weedlines you come across.
This weekend should be nice and calm, but hot. Bring you a couple rags to keep on ice.
Offer gas money, help clean the boat, offer to supply the food/drinks or beer, help clean fish and you might get asked back. .
ChileRelleno likes this.
Bama Fish Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
Constitution Conservative
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Fish Head View Post
Offer gas money, help clean the boat, offer to supply the food/drinks or beer, help clean fish and you might get asked back. .
Thanks for the tips on the gear, appreciate it.

No stranger to hunting/fishing etiquette.
I always jump to the tasks at hand and offer to bring any needed items.
Everything was pretty up front here, $100. for gas, bait & ice, BYOF&B and the bottom/casting gear needs.
ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
Snapper

Without knowing what their plan is, the 8500 and the 6/0. They probably have the tackle, but if you are bringing a little carry on bag put a few king rigs for the spinner, a couple of 8 oz egg sinkers, a couple 8/0 mustad demon circle hooks, some 100-150# barrel swivels, and a bracelet of 80# mono or fluorocarbon in the bag. That might not be perfect, but it will work in a pinch for a lot of things. The current has beem ripping lately with the muddy water pushing out, so if you have some 12-16oz eggs might want to bring a couple too. Also bring a pair of pliers and some gloves. And some cash to offer for expenses after the trip.
ChileRelleno likes this.
SnapperSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2016, 01:41 AM   #5
White Marlin

Good Luck, You might have beginners luck like the guy that caught that big hoo on his 1st trip.
stc1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in