New to trolling, Questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
Snapper

Default New to trolling, Questions

We're hoping to go out mon or tues and after bottom fishing for while going to try and troll around the 200' to 300' lines sw from just south out the tenneco. Anyone think we could run into some Blackfin, wahoo, or dolphin in that area. we don't have a lot of range so we'll probably only troll 15 miles or so to the sw then head in. I was wondering would it be a bad idea to try and put out 5 lines w/o outriggers. We trolled a little from the avocet to the tenneco couple of weeks ago and only hooked up on a big cuda. we only had 3 lines out though w/ a williamson ballyhoo combo chugger, a rigged dead ballyhoo w/ a red and white rubber skirt, and cedar plug way back from the center. i was thinking about adding some lures like a stretch or a big soft plastic swim bait. If it would be worth it to try and put 5 lines in the water, any advice on how far back to put each line to keep from getting all jacked up. Thanks Guys

Last edited by J rod; 09-23-2010 at 01:10 PM.
J rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

You should have no problem trolling 5 lines as long as they are staggered properly alowing you to turn without them tangling. Take slower turns to avoid this as well. The 50 fathom line south of the Tenneco holds plenty of wahoo, blackfin, white and blue marlin, sailfish and dolphin. Pull a spread of mixed lures about 7 knots or so zig-zagging back and forth from about 275ft out to 400ft and back again. Thats the general approach I take this time of year in that area and it never fails.

A good 5 line spread that will work for all of the above fish would be something like:

Flatlines---Yo-Zuri Bonito; Cedar plug behind 16oz trolling weight; Iland express or other large surface chugger with or without a ballyhoo

"Riggers" (next lines back)---Ilander with a medium ballyhoo; mold craft wide range or any slant-headed surface lure; Bird/lure ballyhoo combo

Shotgun---Bird with a ilander/ballyhoo, cedar plug, naked hoo, etc. I almost always pull the longest line behind a bird since it gives you a visual cue on where your lure is and adds more flash and splash in clean water behind your wake
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Snapper

Thanks alot, that will be a huge help. hope we can hook up on a nice hoo or dolphin or something never caught anything like that. My dad just bought the boat last year and we've been bottom fishing, looking forward to snapper season in just over a week. caught this nice AJ on the 10th
Attached Thumbnails
New to trolling, Questions-fish-9-10-10-001-jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Grouper

Chris is right on with his setup. The KISS method works good here, and will keep you out of trouble when you get a big knockdown or a couple of blackfin on. Keep the deck where you fish clean of clutter, and plan out who's going to do what. plan like each fish is a record setter, because it can, and will happen at anytime. Good luck!
bombtosser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Sailfish

A pair of "skiff riggers" won't set ya'll back too bad... The more you do spend the better they will perform though.

Just get decent mounts of conventional size and you can upgrade the sticks later.

Brent
hogdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Another thing the driver should always know is to keep the boat moving forward at trolling speed at least a minute or 2 after hookup to encourage doubles, triples, quads, etc. Usually where there is one 'hoo, tuna or dolphin there is another.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Snapper

you guys are alot of help. now the flats and riggers? I'm guessing the lines straight back from the center should be the furthest back?(that's the shotgun right) and next ones out are the flats??? then outside that the riggers??? am i right on those? which should be longer?? the furthest outside or the inside?? Thanks again guys for all your help, i'll post some pics if we land anything. oh and good advice about keeping up the speed. last month i has something hit a line when we tryed to troll in from fishing when only the state waters were open and my dad let completely off the throttle when he heard the reel scream, bye bye fish. Only thing we caught was a spanish 15" or so on a 7" cedar plug HA HA he tasted pretty good on the grill though
Old 09-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Sailfish

Pretty much... But what I call a flat line is in a "flat line clip" clothes pin style or other... I make a cable leader material lanyard long enuff so the clip is just higher than the transom. I like to use the transom eye. I put one "corner rod" in it and it makes it easier to stagger my spread to allow a little tighter turning or my baits just a bit closer to each other to replicate the look of a school of bait. That 5 feet lower really can make a nice difference.
I like this type or the wide wooden one. This one has rubber pads so I don't worry about squeezing the line flat.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...&storeId=10151

Brent
hogdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Ditto above. If you don't have bent butt rods then you need to clip the line from from your corner rods to a release of some kind to keep the angle lower (why we call 'em flat lines). Your wahoo plugs stay in the water better and run deeper.

You can make an easy release by taking a #32 or #64 rubber band, depending on how much strength you need, and looping it over a stern cleat. Then, after deploying your lure, wrap it around the line several times very tightly and then back over the cleat. When the fish hits he will pop the rubber band.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
Snapper

you guys are great, thanks for the rubber band trick, i'm low budget for now, work has been super slow, my old man has been payin for all the gas the past few trips, i just help with tackel and make up all the dropper rigs and stuff ahead of time, we just made about 50 lbs of leads, i'm stoked. my brother has i couple of his brother in laws comin in from Indiana, hopin we can get on the fish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in