Need advice going from OB to Venice - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Need advice going from OB to Venice

I have fished out of OB for years, Ram Powell, Horn Mt. etc. I would like to go into Venice on a trip instead of coming back to OB. How difficult is the navigation? Any advice, tips or help would be appreciated.
skoooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: Need advice going from OB to Venice

You might do better with this question over a LA Rod 'n Gun. I've never been out of Venice but have been looking into taking my little boat over there and offer these findings.

1. the route up from South Pass is easiest and surest, this is a charted, maintained channel but should not be attempted at night except by those familiar with the water and equipped with radar - you will encounter oceangoing vessels on this route. Logs float down the Mississippi fairly often. The deepest pass is Southwest Pass and you will encounter a lot more, larger, vessels north of Head of Passes.

2. the routes through Main Pass or Pass a Loutre are shortest for you and have much lighter trafficand current, but take a fair amount of local knowledge and, based on things I've read seems to have a few snags (not on NTMs). I would not go this way without some trustworthy information from someone with local knowledge.

3. there is a waynear Grand Bay that locals take, but I don't know how deep - maybe just for shallow draft vessels.

If you go up South Pass (which is what I would do, based on my limited knowledge)I'd be interested to know if you see any signs of activity at Port Eads, i.e. any humans there. It was abandoned after Katrina.

I doubt this helps a lot, but maybe it will get you pointed in the right direction.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Grouper

Good advice Fred,

You can also go a little further to the west, and go up SW Pass. This is a much wider and better marked route, but a little further out of your way. Going up SW pass you will encounter a ton of traffic, but it is well marked, and deep. Just make sure you have your radio on the appropriate vhf Ch# to stay aware of traffic.

Gump...Out
Gump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I used the SW Pass until I was more familiar with the trip. I agree with both postings don't try it at night until you are more familiar. I could look up GPS #'s for you tomorrow if you need them. The turn for Cypress Cove or Venice Marina is easy to find as well just swing wide east if you are hugging the channel on the west bank. It's a different world there for sure. You will be glad you went. Also, I would reccomend fishing some of the rigs closer to Venice if you are fishing on the way instead of those you mentioned in case of an afternoonsummer thunder storm... just my opinion.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Skooter. Listen to Gump. He runs a giantSupply boat or contact me via PM
The Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Grouper

You can run in from the east via Baptiste Collette.....use the old MRGO then follow buoys for the channel....lotsatournamentfishermen do it with regularity.....once you get to the channel, stay in it.....it gets shallow quick......

George
Speckulator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Snapper

Re: Baptiste Collette:

I think this is the one I was talking about "near Grand Bay". The USACE just did a survey on parts of it that you might find useful if you go that way.

http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/Channe...y.asp?prj_id=2
Old 07-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

i have made that run many times, i like to uses south pass but be careful of the jetty alot of it is a couple feet under water.
wild wild west is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

i went by port eads about four weeks ago and will be pass by there next thursday and friday they do have power back now
wild wild west is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
Snapper

Quote:
wild wild west (7/31/2009)i went by port eads about four weeks ago and will be pass by there next thursday and friday they do have power back now
Is anybody living/staying there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in