Monkey Boat rule change - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 04-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Monkey Boat rule change

I noticed that this year any length "outboard" boat will be allowed and inboards are limited to 32 feet. Wondering what other folks thought about this. I have mixed feelings, I have fished for the last 5 or6 years and totally enjoy the tournament. I run a Contender 25 so this tournament which historically limited all boats to 32' made it a lot of fun for me. Wondering how many "new" poeple this will bring in with larger outboards? Not sure if I am happy that more folks will be competing or feel disadvantaged to the faster longer ranged 34's and 36's out there. Regardless, weather permitting we will be there this year.

MScontender

the state, not the femail
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Monkey Boat rule change

Mscontender,

I run a 27 World Cat and have fished the tournament the past three years. Hell I won 4K last year. I feel slighted by the change and I'm not happy. While they may gain a few 32-36's they most likely will lose some of the smaller counterparts. I'm still undecided if I'll fish.I hope someone will take their old format and start a new tournament. Tommy you listening? I think they had 50+ boats fish last year and at $750 min a pop that ain't bad. I wish them the best of luck.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Grouper

Yea it sucks now we run against 39 Jupiters that hold 450 gallons and run the shit out of them and fish off south pass. I think MBGFC combined the Jupiter outboard shoot out with thier Limited. It wasn't bad fishing against the 31 pocket sportfishers, but know were running against the triple engine offshore rockets.. We'll see..... lets talk to WCI and have a good ole monkey boat tournamnet from that site.
Xiphius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

We'll see guys, it might not be that bad. Nevermind its gonna end up being a big game SKA tournament! I hope to fish it again this year. I fished it with a customer last year and we won some money but I hope to get on with some more serious guys this year.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Grouper

My boat is too big by 3' to qualify, but I wouldn't be able to compete because the big CCs can run 150 miles to fish a day trip. I see them trying to get increased competition, but a monkey boat tourney was designed to make small boats all similarly limited in size and range compete. Now, you've got 40' CCs running 80kts fishing against 22' CCs in a tournament where a 28k pound small sportfish isn't allowed because it's too big.

Kind of conflicted.
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I was planning to fish it until I saw the $300 per person entry fee. When did they decide to up that from $175. The last time I fished it was 2 or 3 years ago and I was looking forward to fishing this year until I saw that.
hmsmithjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Sailfish

Where did you see the $300/angler? I could not find that, one more hurdle to get over to fish.

MScontender

***my bad, just saw it on their site. I have mixed feelings on that as well. I know that it certainly effect some folks fishing and maybe me. That is at least 1K in entry plus another $500 in calcuttas on top of 250 gallons of fuel, ice, ballyhoo etc... So figure around 3K to fish the "monkey boat"!
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Snapper

ill just go to the nipple and catch all the ones they past by at 80knts.
Midnight Run is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

MBGFC website for the 2009 Limited tournament. Maybe it was a typo, but it was there.

Regardless I would like to know because my group wanted to fish it this year.

Maclin
hmsmithjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
White Marlin

From there website...

Ladies Tournament-- Registration: 5 pm to 8 pm $300.00 per angler with a minimum of 3 anglers for boats over 32 feet, and 2 anglers for boats 32 feet and under

Memorial day---Registration: 5 pm to 8 pm $250.00 per angler with a minimum of 4 anglers for boats over 32 feet, and 3 anglers for boats 32 feet and under. Registration received by Monday, May 18, 2009, $200.00 per angler

Limited Tournament---Registration: 5 pm to 8 pm $300.00 per angler boats 32 feet and under. Minimum of 3 anglers per boat. Registration received by Monday, July 20, 2008, $250.00 per angler
whome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in