MEET THE NEW BOAT - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Grouper

Default MEET THE NEW BOAT

UPDATE: DONE DEAL < BOAT ARRIVING IN PC AUG 14th>

After almost 2 years of not owning my own boat, i took the dive again today and went under contract pending survey on this palm beach 32.

Meet the new boat fellers !

PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: MEET THE NEW BOAT

I'd sure look good in that boat!!!
Worn Out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Grouper

What a beauty she is!
Kingfish514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
White Marlin

looks like you need some crew..........

great looking boat!!!
bluffman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
a
Sailfish

very nice! one day.........
a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Fine looking boat, congrats, hope she does you good.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
Sailfish

I LIKE IT ,THATS A BEAUTIFUL BOAT . WHAT KIND OF POWER? TRAILER?

TIM
Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Sailfish

Mike

Awesome looking boat! Great looking classic timeless lines! I am curious, I always thought your Mirage was a great mix of size, power, tower and basic accomodations for this size of boat. What made you get rid of her and how do you see this boat improving on the Mirage? (what are your engines on the new boat?)
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
mscontender (7/12/2009)Mike

Awesome looking boat! Great looking classic timeless lines! I am curious, I always thought your Mirage was a great mix of size, power, tower and basic accomodations for this size of boat. What made you get rid of her and how do you see this boat improving on the Mirage? (what are your engines on the new boat?)

I sold the Mirage for several reasons , but the 2 main reason where money and outboard issues all the time. I just couldn't buy a break with outboards and seemed to always have issues once i went to 250 hp or above. The money part was , less than 1 mile per gallon on every trip which cost a arm and a leg when fuel prices went way north due to where we tend to fish. Although i loved the Mirage , I alway wanted to get into a diesel boat which run cheaper , and sound so much better on the troll.

As for the new boat , yes she is a timeless classic with lines only a few boats carry. A ways back i was interested in TOPSHELF, a 27 tides in destin, and the MOXIE in Gulf breeze. My issue then was price and worry about the size ( i felt the tides was tool small and the Gamefisherman was too much money). When i found the new boat , which has the same layout but much larger in every direction I was in love. She has room to lay down below in a cabin that isn't a dungeon for tow people , the ability fish and relax while keeping you dry and covered all the time under her large oversize helm and deck area.

She has a single diesel which was put into the boat in 2003 brand new. The new motor shaved 1000 pounds out of the hull when the old cat was removed and helps her to plane at just 9 knots. Her wake is so clean at troll that there are hardly any bubbles at all leaving clean water everywhere the lures will run. The tower is perfect for cobia season being very tall and large enough for 3 anglers, with controls. She has a huge 60 gallon in sole live well for our live bait, and tons of storage for gear and rods.

I am giving up speed and zero economy for smooth rides and huge fuel economy. She will cruise at 20 knots not problem, so thats it speed wise( no speed queen here). The thing is , she will do that 20 knots in comfort into a 3-4 foot head sea which we experienced yesterday during the sea trial in the St Augustine inlet. She powered right though without slamming us, and not one drop of water into the boat of helm area( which is a major plus). Lately i have been fishing a 27 worldcat cat, which is a great boat with a great fishing layout . Problem is , they are wet and every time we get rough seas we can plan of getting soaked the entire trip. Heck even in good seas she sneezes on us constantly wetting your sun glasses. I just couldnt take the pounding and soaking anymore which it what it boils down too.

Because i have been fishing so long and taking so many shitty boat rides i finally decided to switch to a smoother dry ride. Although i will have only one motor now which most people do not prefer, i am not going to worry about it and take every precaution i can to make sure we never have any motor issues. The main reason i could not get a twin diesel set up is where i live in Pc and what i have to get under. Due to tide restrictions, 11 or less beam for my dock at my house, and a low bridge i have to get under .....I had to shop for a very specific boat that meet all the requirements. There where very few boats on the list and even fewer i could afford. I was able to buy this boat for less than a twin engine repower on my Mirage if that gives any idea what kind of deal i got.

The other main plus to this boat which i found out yesterday, was her open check book owner who cared for her the last 8 years replacing anything he felt was a issue. He went over every detail of the boats issues with me and had put me at ease with the care he showed for his GIRL. This guys is in his late 60's and solo fishes this sucker 50 -70 miles out in the stream for tuna and marlin...SOLO........And did i mention his sea abilities...this guy could handle a boat backing that sucker into his slip with one motor and some heavy wind.

Survey is next week so barring any unforeseen issues she will be in the gulf fishing within 4 weeks.

reports to follow soon !

Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
recess (7/12/2009)I LIKE IT ,THATS A BEAUTIFUL BOAT . WHAT KIND OF POWER? TRAILER?

TIM

2003 Yanmar 315 single diesel

Trailer is to be ordered and built after the survey. I hope to tow her to different locations to fish such as Venice in the winter and the Keys in the summer. I can just see her now in sailfish land in south florida...what this boat was made for !

Thanks, Mike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in