Marling leader lenghts??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By gator7_5
  • 1 Post By Kim
  • 2 Post By JMB
  • 3 Post By Capt. Alex Pinney
  • 1 Post By jlw1972

Old 09-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Marling leader lenghts???

I've used longer leaders, 15+ feet on larger boats, or shorter ones for smaller craft 5' to 8'. For those fishing a 30' boat what lengths you folks using??
fishmagician is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Kim
Blue Marlin

You can't go wrong by using the IGFA standards of leader class and length.

D. LEADER
The use of a leader is not required. If one is used, it must meet the following specifications:
1 . The length of the leader is the overall length including any lure, hook arrangement or other device. The leader must be connected to the line with a snap, knot, splice, swivel or other device. There are no regulations regarding the material or strength of the leader. Saltwater species: In all line classes up to and including 20 lb (10 kg), the leader shall be limited to 15 feet (4.57 meters). The combined length of the double line and leader shall not exceed 20 feet (6.1 meters). The leader on all classes of tackle over 20 lb (10 kg) shall be limited to 30 feet (9.14 meters). The combined length of the double line and leader shall be limited to 40 feet (12.19 meters).

Also check this site.

http://www.tournamentcable.com/artic...age=sf0400.cfm
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
Sailfish

I use a 20' wind on with a 6' leader. That way no one touches the line. Works well when you fish with a novice crew.

I also use 20' wind on with a 12" wire rig for ballyhoo. Caught marlin to 500# on that rig.

I've also used standard 16-20' 300# mono leader.

Guess I've been lucky, but have yet to have a billfish or any fish chaffe through a leader or line in 15 yrs of big game fishing.

One thing to note is that I don't use any snap swivels. The only terminal tackle in my setup is a single swivel, which is the termination point of each lure/leader. It's the way I was taught and old habits are hard to change. Only downside is having to cut the wind-on and retie a new lure, but I don't change lures that often through the day anyway.
Kim and THONAS J. RYAN like this.

Last edited by gator7_5; 09-07-2015 at 12:39 PM.
gator7_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Kim
Blue Marlin

Another alternative for a quick change terminal connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Marling leader lenghts???-20150907_124606-jpg  
THONAS J. RYAN likes this.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
JMB
Trigger

FWIW,

I use 100-130# wind-ons on 50W stand-up rods. I make my own and usually make them 20 feet or so.

On my lures run about 6 feet of mono leader sized to the lure.

Big lures like a Senior Wide Range I run 300-400#.

Smaller lures like a Standard Wide Range I run 150-200#.

I prefer, like others have said here, a wind-on and a short lure leader to prevent chaffing so no one has to touch the rod or leader until the very end of the game.

IMO, charter boats and pro (or wanna be pro?!?) boats use long lure leaders because they have mates that want to leader fish because they never get to actually fight fish and leadering gives them a chance to have fun too.

Some say, long leaders provide more distance between the swivel and the lure, making the rig present better. IDK if that theory makes much sense but some believe it to be true.

I usually use a smaller swivel anyway. Typically a 150-250# escape proof swivels which are rather small to begin with. I sometimes will cover them with small blue/white squid skirt that looks like a smal fly er being chased by the lure.

All of this and everyone's addidtions to this are ALWAYS debatable. I think there are very few NEVERS in BW trolling.

My $.02!
gator7_5 and THONAS J. RYAN like this.
JMB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
Grouper

We use 30 foot leaders because in a tournament the moment the mate touches the leader its considered a catch. No reason to short yourself with a 15 foot leader in that situation .

fishing from an outboard or fun fishing best to use wind ons . Easy to use , much cleaner ( you don't have 30 feet of leader laying on the deck ) and you don't necessarily need a wire man.
Capt. Alex Pinney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
The Tourist
Sailfish

I've tried short 10ft leaders and long 30ft leaders. For getting the fish at the side of the boat and ease of deploying lures on riggers when you can't drop them back first I like 12ft. It's eanough to protect against the fish, enough to grab onto and the fish isn't thrashing at the surface, the swivel is out of the water when the lure is running (except for the shotgun) and it's not attracting stupid wahoo to cut you off and it takes up less room in a lure bag.

My buddy does 25-30ft wind Ons and crimps his lures on each time. Works well for him.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post

My buddy does 25-30ft wind Ons and crimps his lures on each time. Works well for him.
Like. Crimping the lure in place does not take too much time, and assures no snap swivel failure.

Another consideration I had not previously considered is a "grabbing point" when handling big fish near the boat. I fished the Bisbee and local crew asked me to shorten up my lure leaders to about 6' (which got attached to 25' wind on leaders) so the mate can get a good grip with gloves. I had not previously thought about this but it definitely works better than trying to wrap the long leader around your hands with a big fish.

I learn something new every time I fish.
[email protected]
matttheboatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Another alternative for a quick change terminal connection.
Kim giving billfish advice.

Imagine that...
sniperpeeps likes this.

Joey Welch

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

jlw1972 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in