Lloyd's Ridge question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
newb
Mingo

Default Lloyd's Ridge question

Thinking about making a trip to Lloyd's ridge mid to late spring weather window dependant. Should we wait until the currents are really favorable like an eddy or does the ledge always have an upwelling current that can hold fish all the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
Snapper

current and water quality definitely helps...but there's not too much pressure out there. it's a haul.
atlantacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
newb
Mingo

Yea I know it's a long ride. Got a friend of a friend that's been and said they were working a temperature brake and went through 60 ballyhoo in 30 minutes. And another friend of a friend that had a triple of 100lb yellowfin hit the spread at once

Old 03-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
Snapper

check images before you go that far. you might just find beautiful cobalt blue empty water. early season it better to stay closer in my opinion because everything seems to be moving back in. We hooked a really nice blue a couple of years back within 50 miles of Destin in early May.
FleaBag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Lloyds ridge is one of the spots like the double nipple where the bottom contour doesn't really create enough break in surface currents or provide any real structure for pelagics. If there isn't a rip, debris field or something holding fish there, I would personally just fish closer spots. Too many fish are caught much closer and with more consistency.

That's just my thoughts. You may go out there and smash em.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Mingo

What about that bouy that's out towards the ridge (42039). I have always thought about hitting it from PCB but, we end up at the spur. Long way with nothing else to fish until you get back to the wings or squiggles.
Scout800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
Snapper

heck yea. long term FAD. I have seen big mahi and a blue marlin caught off a black five gallon bucket however they pulled the blue off cuz somebody forgot to snap the swivel. I always look twice now.
FleaBag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Grouper

Default We used to fish it when..

things started slowing down for the normal day-trip range , usually just after the PBGFC Int'l tourney... Always liked "seeing" that place, and always caught a decent fish there, including my best Blue back in '93... The bottom is sloped about 45degrees, so the upwelling was usually a bit east and south of the actual top of the ridge...If I remember right , it drops a mile in depth across a surface mile for aro 30 miles or so....
BTW, if you see a big yellowfin with a 6" poorly placed gaff sticking out of it , It's likely mine!...That is from before we adopted the "in one eye, out the other " rule for yellowfin...
Good memories of some fine trips! Thanks for jogging them...
Worn Out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #9
newb
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout800 View Post
What about that bouy that's out towards the ridge (42039). I have always thought about hitting it from PCB but, we end up at the spur. Long way with nothing else to fish until you get back to the wings or squiggles.
Yea the weather buoy is feast or famine. For us we didn't have much success out of it last year. Probably went 5 times and caught a 25lb wahoo and a 20lb dolphin on separate trips. We hooked a sailfish on the same trip we caught the dolphin but it threw the hook.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #10
newb
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worn Out View Post
things started slowing down for the normal day-trip range , usually just after the PBGFC Int'l tourney... Always liked "seeing" that place, and always caught a decent fish there, including my best Blue back in '93... The bottom is sloped about 45degrees, so the upwelling was usually a bit east and south of the actual top of the ridge...If I remember right , it drops a mile in depth across a surface mile for aro 30 miles or so....
BTW, if you see a big yellowfin with a 6" poorly placed gaff sticking out of it , It's likely mine!...That is from before we adopted the "in one eye, out the other " rule for yellowfin...
Good memories of some fine trips! Thanks for jogging them...
What time of year did y'all generally go?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in