Line tension - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Line tension

I just purchased a new line spooler, and curious as to how much tension you guys recommend for50 lb mono ontiagra 30W WRLSA reels? Also, how much tension for 60 lb PowerPro onlarge open face reels, such as Penn 850?

Thanks!!
Grady22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Line tension

You need to pack the mono on tight and the spectra even tighter. Assuming that you're trying to fish 50 class drag on the 30 because you're putting 50# on it, you're going to need to put about 6# of drag. You don't want enough to actually have the mono stretched as it goes on, but enough that its hard as a rock on the spool.

For the PP, you need to get it on as hard as you can manage. On a spinning reel there are 2 directional changes from rod tip and spool roller that add tension and the spinning reel oscillates and puts the line back on in a zig zag so its not as important as it would be on a big reel, but you still should put 6# or more. Unfortunately, with a spinning reel, every time you cast your used line becomes less packed except for when you have a fish and then it twists.

Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Good deal. Thank you!
Grady22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

I'm old school, didn't even know they had tention settings for line spoolers. Have had line spooled on my reals at tackle suppliers many times I guess I just didn't pay attention. But I do understand the importance of having a tightly packed spool. What I do is every trip I take on the way out we always clean any gear off the lines and run them off the stern for about 10 mins at 8 to 10 knots tolet them stretch and unwind. Then get the youngest and strongest hand on the boat with a fighting belt on just like if hooked up on a big fish and stack your spool nice and tight and even, this way my line is good to go every trip. Can't really say what the # on the resistence is but like I said you will need a belt to retrieve 300+ yards of line. New anglers I have taken out just can't believe how much resistence naked line being pulled through the water at 8 knots can be created. This is how I learned to keeep my line ready to rumble, but am willing to always learn a new trick.

Fishbone said that.
Fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in