Leaders for trolling lures - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Leaders for trolling lures

I was wondering what kind of leaders everyone uses for the yozuri bonitas and what color is best.
Capt. Mickey Locke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Default RE: Leaders for trolling lures

I like 10 ' of 80# Jinkai with a short trace of #9 wire to make allowance for a big hoo. Though in the past I have caught plenty of big mackerel and wahoo without the wire. Just so expensive I hate to take the chance of loosing one and have not noticed a decrease in strikes with it.

As for color purple and black is my favorite for wahoo and the dolphin color is a good bet. They make a black and orange one now but have not tried it yet but it looks like a good combo.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Grouper

6-7' single strand. 105-180# test.

George
Speckulator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Sailfish

7-10'..? Wow, Ok -I need toredo ours then.. I think we rigged ours with about 4' of #7 wire - is that too little?? We bought the black and purple theother day for $36 & I DO NOT want to lose it on the first hit.. lol..

Also, what knotsareyou using?? (( I don't want to take any chances, haha...))
reelfinatical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Grouper

8' of 400# mono.
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Trigger

2nd on the mono.

escpecially with the single swivel hook.

cheers.

drew
Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Grouper

I run about 10" of decent sized wire, then 8' of 300lb mono.
Heller High Water is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Cuz
Trigger

Quote:
reelfinatical (5/28/2008)7-10'..? Wow, Ok -I need toredo ours then.. I think we rigged ours with about 4' of #7 wire - is that too little?? We bought the black and purple theother day for $36 & I DO NOT want to lose it on the first hit.. lol..

You'll be ok as you have it. Single strand about 4' long is plenty. Use about a 80# black swivel and make sure your twist are right. Check after each fish for kinks and redo as necessary. Use just a black snap to attach to the lure. I don't use mono because it won't let the lure fish as deep as single strand will. I do use mono for islander etc. just not for diving plugs.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
Cuz (5/30/2008)
Quote:
reelfinatical (5/28/2008)7-10'..? Wow, Ok -I need toredo ours then.. I think we rigged ours with about 4' of #7 wire - is that too little?? We bought the black and purple theother day for $36 & I DO NOT want to lose it on the first hit.. lol..

You'll be ok as you have it. Single strand about 4' long is plenty. Use about a 80# black swivel and make sure your twist are right. Check after each fish for kinks and redo as necessary. Use just a black snap to attach to the lure. I don't use mono because it won't let the lure fish as deep as single strand will. I do use mono for islander etc. just not for diving plugs.

The action on the bonitas is pretty severe and if you don't pay awful close attention, the wiggling of the lure will wear through the wire or cable. Any kink in the wire will turn into a break when a big hooter smashes your lure, xo if you're going to use the wire like Cuz suggests, make sure you keep a real close eye on it and probably change it after every fish or trip. Wahoo are not leader shy and, as far as I'm concerned, you could use aircraft cable for leader, but make sure you have chafe tube on it or the bonita will eventually eat through the cable or eat through the lure loop.
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Mingo

I agree with you, Xanadu...wahoo are pretty ferocious and not skeered much by leaders. In fact, we rig the Yo-Zuris here at Sam's on 400 lb. American Fishing Wire stranded cable. They still get eaten and you don't have to watch the rigging so closely for failures. In other words, the 400 lb. stays solid for many strikes. Like Speckulator said, single strand is good, too, might result in a few more bites, but I've had days where we couldn't keep the wahoo off the plugs rigged with 400. As for favorite colors, I've said it before, but the so-called "Ninja" is as deadly as I know of. It is black with pink tiger stripes on the back. Black/orange and black/purple are good, too. I've caught fish on the Dorado color, also. My favorite size is the F53...seems to mimic the silhuoette of the average hardtail in our area. Single swinging hooks are the only way to go; the doubles act as dehookers if they get turned just right in the fish's mouth. Good luck...Bryan Bennett, Sam's Orange Beach, (251) 981-4245
Bryan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in