Last Years water Quality - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Last Years water Quality

I talked to several buds and guides who continue to say how bad last year water quality was. They say it was the worst in several years. HOw bad was it, compared to years past; and on an average year, how far out do you have to go to find bluewater during the summer for wahoo/dolphin etc
tjkelly17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to amarcafina Send a message via MSN to amarcafina
Default RE: Last Years water Quality

The water quaility was bad last year due to the flooding that took place on the Mississippi river, dumping tons of slit into the gulf! It should be better this year but only Mother Nature will know!
Attached Thumbnails
Last Years water Quality-3%5B3%5D-jpg  
Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Snapper

I know on 10-12 offshore/rig trips we had only 2 or 3 that the water conditions were perfect and macthed rip charts/Roffs reports. The water at the spur and north of the spur was horrible most of the summer, although we caught some decent fish it was alot of fuel to run around looking for good water and conditions. Maybe I should switch to bottom fishing where it doesn't matter.
bigone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Sailfish

I remember checking Supermap last year & several times blue water was 100+ miles out of Destin. :sick
reelfinatical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Needless to say the water quality sucked last year from the end of june til the about september. There were still fish to be caught but trolling wasn't necessarily the best option. We still managed some nice tuna at the rigs by fishing live baits deep with either a breakaway weight or off the downrigger at slow speeds. Same went with wahoo at the nipple and other closer in spots, if your bait got deep(40+ft.)you could still manage a few wahoo. Hopefully we'll get dealt a better hand this year.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

It will have to do with the runoff down the Mississippi and how hard the Mid-West gets hit with spring rain, but it should be a great improvement over last year.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Grouper

Last year we had better water quality in the spring than in the summer. Late in the season you could find some patchy water within 35 miles but it really didnt produce much. Had to be on your A game to have a decent catch last year. HOPEFULLY the fish god will bless us this year. :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown
Heller High Water is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Grouper

Last year was the worst offshore year that I know of going back to '66 when we started fishing offshore. At various points during the year the MS. River was at 25 and 30 year highs. All that fresh water affects the Gulf. The real pretty water, think Bahamas as they have no rivers and not that much rain,is very high salinity which is also high in oxygen. Offshore fish need and seekhigh oxygen content water.

Typically the season starts off with good water and green water begins to show mid to late summer. You can catch fish in green water later in the season. I guess they have moved in during the summer following the bait in good waterand if the water gets green they continue to hold around the bait sources.

I'm hoping this year will be better and the fuel bill will be less too!
Magic236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Grouper

Part two....typically out of Destin you have decent chance with Wahoo from 180-300 feet of water around structure. SW of Destin you can hit 300' right at 25 miles out. I've caught decent Wahoo in 100' of water that is only 10 miles So. of Destin. Decent sized Dorado tend to be further offshore. It has been a long time since I have caught a Dorado north of 15 lbs inside of 30 miles from Destin.
Magic236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Super Moderator
Blue Marlin

We tagged our blue in the International 133 miles out. Right where chocolate milk met cobalt. Nasty all the way back. Long run in nasty water. Worst I have ever seen.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in