Lack of Reports for the 2015 Season - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree7Likes

Old 02-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Lack of Reports for the 2015 Season

So, new to this whole blue water thing, I spend what some would call a borderline psychotic amount of time reading what I can on the subject of all things big game.

Part of my strategy is combing through pages and pages of reports right here on PFF.

I noticed that in 2015 there are only about 6 pages in the "Bluewater Reports" section. In 2014 there are more than twice as many at about 13 pages. What gives? Im guessing it was the fact that the water was nasty a good chunk of the season last year? Or maybe less people are giving reports?

Is bluewater fishing very cyclical, meaning you have x number of good years in a row followed by y number of bad years? If so, are we on a down swing into some slower years?

Any input from you bluewater pros would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and is my boat big enough to go offshore? How far? Where? What bait? What line? What knot?

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
Snapper

I believe it's a combination of having an off year and the availability of blue water. I know that my fishing was concentrated to nearshore as you had to head out too far to find productive blue water. I would also suggest that the water temperature was higher than previous years keeping most of the pelagics out further as well. The people that were finding fish were probably not as willing to share their location/reports as in past years. Just my 2 cents.
JD7.62 likes this.
"Southern Xposure"

2008 SeaChaser 2400 OffShore w/300hp eTec (Lady J)
1998 World Cat 246sf w/twin 150hp Zukes (Altered States)
Lady J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I'll say that clean water was hard to come by but I a lot of folks were fishing and just not reporting. The tuna bite was garbage inside of 90 miles most of the season but I did well on wahoo and dolphin most trips.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Grand Slam

My observations are that people simply aren't taking the time to type reports as much on the "Fishing Forums".... but..... I have seen more activity on "Social Media" (Facebook) than I have on the fishing sites.....over the past couple years.... just my 2 cents.
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
My observations are that people simply aren't taking the time to type reports as much on the "Fishing Forums".... but..... I have seen more activity on "Social Media" (Facebook) than I have on the fishing sites.....over the past couple years.... just my 2 cents.
I agree completely and have noticed that too.

Man I need to go fishing! Maybe in another 4-6 weeks I will start pointing the bow south again.
Realtor likes this.

850-810-2548

Old 02-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
Snapper

I did see that.

It's easy to think people are being tight lipped about the Bluewater but, I laid that to rest the first time I asked about trolling and reported a catch we did in November

Everybody chimed in and gave tips for the trolling thread

Everybody also rallied around a nice BFT and YFT trip we made out to the Horn around T-giving.

This year isn't shaping up very well either.T
The Mississippi is gonna be trashing us with the brown with the amount of water coming down the pipe imho..

Anytime I go I'll dang sure hook you up and I don't know crap yet but, I'll give ya'll what I got!!

Hoping for a great year and to catch my first HOO eva!!
RedLeg likes this.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

I only got out about 10 times last year. Total was 1 wahoo, 7 yellowfin though none over 70lbs, 8736589 dolphin but only a handful over 20lbs and none over 30lbs, a sword and a couple of sails. (sails where from the yak but I'm still counting them!) I REALLY wanted that 3rd billfish species but couldn't make it happen rather it was a white or a blue. I'm not complaining, I think I/we had a stellar year but there is indeed room for improvement.

This season I'd like to step up the wahoo game as well as the billfish game. I have yet to land a marlin and I can't wait to put that notch on the ole belt!
LIM-IT-OUT likes this.

850-810-2548

Old 02-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
I only got out about 10 times last year. Total was 1 wahoo, 7 yellowfin though none over 70lbs, 8736589 dolphin but only a handful over 20lbs and none over 30lbs, a sword and a couple of sails. (sails where from the yak but I'm still counting them!) I REALLY wanted that 3rd billfish species but couldn't make it happen rather it was a white or a blue. I'm not complaining, I think I/we had a stellar year but there is indeed room for improvement.

This season I'd like to step up the wahoo game as well as the billfish game. I have yet to land a marlin and I can't wait to put that notch on the ole belt!
Sounds like you had a good year. From what I experienced, the conditions were about average and we did well. I think Realtor got it right; people just aren't posting reports anymore.
Tim_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post

Is bluewater fishing very cyclical, meaning you have x number of good years in a row followed by y number of bad years? If so, are we on a down swing into some slower years?
Good question. I don't have the answer, but I suggest spending some of that "psychotic amount of time" researching and following the loop current. That's where a lot of our "bluewater" fish come from. I think I read there's some sort of 18 month cycle involved. If you figure it out let me know.
Tim_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

I have looked into the currents and how they change but I can't find anything consistent. Maybe in the next 5-10 years and a log, that admittedly don't keep right now, I will get it pinned out.

Where I'm at now: I can do some basic rigging of lures. I feel like last year I found out where in the spread certain baits like to swim. I was presented with certain situations where my first choice didn't work and made a change that produced some results. I have a basic understanding of reading the.different.charts/satellite imagery as well as the.bottom contours.

What I also need to work on are those days when there is no defined rip or obvious signs of life and what to do then. THAT, in my opinion, is the hard part, especially on a smaller boat with limited range.

I've learned to rig ballyhoo in various ways but I'd like to spend more time trying to live bait. Twice we came up on a blue busting bait, one tossing chicken dolphin in the air like rag dolls and the other small tuna. The one eating the dolphin we dragged lures around the bubbles he left during his rampage but never got him up. The one on the tuna we kind of ignored as there were some bigger tuna around eating our poppers. IF we had a live bait set up ready we could have easily hooked up a live skippie we were catching in between yft and maybe got him to eat, that's a mistake I'm never making again!

850-810-2548

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in