How to clean lures? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-30-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default How to clean lures?

I had a box of lures left in the garage over the summer. Some of the rubber bands on theleader melted and the softhead luresare especially sticky all over, like they melted or something. The rest are nasty as well. Any secret to getting this crap off? Soap and water didnt seem to do much..

If not, I have a few offshore big game lures for sale.. cheap.
gator7_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Default RE: How to clean lures?

Well, guess what? You have melted your lures. Something that you had in the container used a type of solvent that leaches out of the lure as a gas. Over time it does actually melt the outer layer on the surface of other lures. I had this same experience several years ago with a cheep tackle box. Some of my plastics actually melted their way right into the hard plastic of the tackle box. Now I always keep my soft plastics in Ziploc bags.
Retrofit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Sailfish

thanks for the info. I'll try to salvage what I can. Lesson learned
gator7_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Snapper

I saw this guy on TV one Saturday morning (some fishing show,can't remember). He had some <U>really</U> good looking work. I am posting the reply I got from him when I emailed him. I've got a big Yo-Zuri Bonito I'm going to send him (and a couple of others).

Quote:
I am on <SPAN style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; CURSOR: hand" id=lw_1238451646_0 class=yshortcuts>Lake Guntersville in the far North East corner of bama. I charge $10 per bait for a basic paint job. Big swimbaits and other large lures are $14. I have a certain way I prep and prime baits before painting them so all I ask from you is that you remove the split rings and hooks before sending baits. My phone is <SPAN style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; CURSOR: hand" id=lw_1238451646_1 class=yshortcuts>256-244-1846. Give me a call tomorrow or when you can and we can discuss what you have and what you are looking for with your baits. Thank you for the request. Jeremy
fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

ya make sure to remove rubber bands from all that gear for future reference. those suckers melt and fall apart especially if not dried off.
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Snapper

Just cleaned a bunch of my lures yesterday. Took the magic eraser that you can buy almost at any grocery store or Walley World .Works really good and shines these lures up like they were brand new. Also along with cleaning them went ahead and put new hooks on them. Nothing like a big trout hitting a Spook on top.

Also the earser will shine up that spoon like brand new.
curtpcol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in