high speed trolling - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Mingo

Default high speed trolling

i was wondering how fast you go for high speed trolling and maybe a coulple of tips i don't really like to troll a lot but if i can troll at a descent speed on the way out to my spots i will take it up how heavy of a lure do i need thanks
redneck911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
Grouper

There's alot of guys that are smarter than me on here that will give you some info on high speed wahoo trolling, but here's my two cents. buy a heavy nosed wahoo wacker or other bullet shaped lure, slap a few lbs of trolling lead infront of the leader, then let it way, way back. my tld 50s with mono barely had the drag to hold it tight. if the lure skips, add more weight.
bombtosser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Bub
Mingo

Pick up a black bart rum cay candy or two. I know they arent super cheap but they troll true without any added lead easily in the lower 20kts. They also make a few different sizes in this head style. I believe the rum cay is the middle size but I am not for sure.
Bub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Pick up a black bart rum cay candy or two. I know they arent super cheap but they troll true without any added lead easily in the lower 20kts. They also make a few different sizes in this head style. I believe the rum cay is the middle size but I am not for sure.
Weight has no bearing on whether or not the lure stays in the water. It's all about the shape. Any of Bart's high speed lures will stay in the water as fast as our boats will go - up to 30kts. All that lead and cable are just trouble, imho.
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

I always used the wahoo waster at 20-22kts. Put it back until it stays in water, it will run right on the top. Do not put any weight on it. Mine would go out as soon as we cleared the pass and left in until we were ready to put out a regular trolling spread. Same thing coming in. Anytime the boat is moving it should be back there. You will catch wahoo, kings, bonita, and occasional black fin. We also caught a 48# cobia, 200+# blue marlin in 140ft of muddy water and one juvinile flipper in the end of his nose. Took a while to release but he was fine.
lingbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingbat View Post
I always used the wahoo waster at 20-22kts. Put it back until it stays in water, it will run right on the top. Do not put any weight on it. Mine would go out as soon as we cleared the pass and left in until we were ready to put out a regular trolling spread. Same thing coming in. Anytime the boat is moving it should be back there. You will catch wahoo, kings, bonita, and occasional black fin. We also caught a 48# cobia, 200+# blue marlin in 140ft of muddy water and one juvinile flipper in the end of his nose. Took a while to release but he was fine.
Who makes the lure and who carries it? Thanks.

2008 Robalo R240 Twin 150 Yams
marlinchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
eating tasty
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinchaser View Post
Who makes the lure and who carries it? Thanks.

5th one down on the page

http://www.jdsbiggame.com/Test.asp?cID=5&Check=2
FenderBender is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Sailfish

A flatline clip off the stern eyes or cleats will allow you to troll at the same speed with the baits closer to the boat as the angle will be very flat...

I made some high speed heads (stainless steal long taper copies of big lures) for light tackle (12-20lb gear and line) that would troll at 16 knots real easy... Talk about screamin' the drag...

Brent
hogdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Roger, I believe braid made it, it is identical to the wahoo wacker. Bought them at outcast.
lingbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

48oz Ballyhood banchee... It will set you back a bit. Need a 80lb class reel to handle the drag and strike. I've pulled with less capable reels (penn 345) and could only get around 12-15kts out of it.
seeryfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in