full moon and pelagics - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Trigger

Default full moon and pelagics

plan on heading out for the Re- maiden voyage after months of work on the ride on april 10th. that is if the mother nature will cooperate. im sure with these monsoons we've been having it'll be a long run: but im dying to get back offshore. anyhoo i see we'll have a full moon; and the past trips we've done on full moons have been pretty slow. any advice on how the moon affects pelagics??? i know it stands to reason that they can feed better at night, obviously because its eaier to see. we have also backed way out away from the rig. and tried open water. any info??
SUNDAY-FUNDAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default RE: full moon and pelagics

in my experiences it seems like the nighttime tuna bite around rigs is slow during a full moon. some would say that the fish are not as dependent on the rig lights for food and move farther away from the rig at night. mid morning to lunchtime bite seems to turn on though.
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Snapper

Alot of people swear that the pelagic bite fires off during a full moon, but the dolphin, tuna,and wahoo bite slows. I have found that if we fish during the full moon, we don't catch squat. Every time has been a skunk for pelagics. Maybe your luck will be different from ours!

Bob
bellafishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Snapper

offshore + full moon =:boo
bigone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

We tuna fished during the daytime on the last full moon, and the bite was great. We fished two weeks laterat the same place with a smaller moon and the bite was exactly the same. Everyone seems to have a different opinion about whatthe moondoes to the bite, be it night or day. I fished with a captain in Venice a few weeks ago who swears that the full moon triggers to wahoo bite over there, and I've heard others say that the full moon shuts down the wahoo bite down, so who knows. I'll defer to people with more knowledge, and better fishing logs, butI cant remember the last time I got hungry and stopped to check what the moon was doing beforeI went in search of a meal, and on some level I would like to believe that pelagics are even more primitive eaters than I am. Moon be damned; trying to find fish and put a bait in front of them is better than working.

I do look forward to hearing what others have to say about moon cycles and the NGOM. Everyone in the Carribean seems to be a moonatic, and I for one would be interested to know if and why moon cycles may have a greater impact on their fishery than ours.
andyyar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Trigger

ive also heard from numerous venice captains that the wahoo bite is best around a full moon..... it just seems everytime we go and you can run at night from the tower and see 2 miles, we dont catch $hit...... but we are normally fishing the rigs at night for tuna..... we might try and get a lil more sleep and fish more during the daylight hours. anyway, it will be great to just get outta cell phone range for awhile.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Snapper

I call it the full moon effect. If you catch them, itsbecause of the full moon. If you don't catch them, its because of the full moon. I know some top notch captains, half love the full moon, half hate it. I've had some of my best and worst catches on the full moon. I think if you get a chance to go fishing, then go. But, I do love the full moon for sword fishing. Some do some don't!! Just my 2 cents.
Capt. Delynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
Mingo

What are you referring to as pelagics? Cuz im perrrty positive tuna, dolphin, and wahoo are pelagic fish along with mr. stickman.
Joey_d133 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Joey_d133 (3/31/2009)What are you referring to as pelagics? Cuz im perrrty positive tuna, dolphin, and wahoo are pelagic fish along with mr. stickman.

tuna, dolphin, mackerels, billfish, wahoo, sharks, etc. etc. etc. pelagic literally means open water. usually highly migratory fish.

basically non-bottom fish.
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
Trigger

pelagic is defined by webster as an open ocean fish..... in my opinion in our area i'd call a pelagic anything that 99% of the time resides out past the continental shelf. billfish, tuna, wahoo, dolphin, etc im not sure i'd call a mackeral pelagic?? but they've been having to weed thru thousands to get any yellows out of venice right now, and where they are fishing is over the shelf. so i guess im contradicting myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in