Fishing in venice mid January for Wahoo - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 12-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Fishing in venice mid January for Wahoo

I hear that the Wahoo blitz goes off in mid jan. or so. Has anyone fished that area for them? Can anyone give any information about it? We are in the planning stages now for the drive over. Any help is welcome . Thanks Gene and Crew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Fishing in venice mid January for Wahoo

TCAT and I trailered a 22 GB down to Cypress cove during 1999-2004 and caught some nice hoos at Medusa about 55 miles out of SE Pass, we would watch the weather and when favorable forecasts came we would leave P'cola around 10:00pm slide through New Orleans at around 2:00am no traffic and make it the boat launch at Cypress Cove by 4:00 and ease down the River. Blue Mackerel Rapala magnums and pink diving lures were the ticket. Tarpon007 caught a monster weighing 116 or something back then. Hopefully this year the YF will show up in better numbers last year was the worst year that I can remember.
Xiphius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Sailfish

I appreciate the reply we have done the whole lump thing and it is a good time but wahoo is going to be our taget this year . With out a doubt [weather pending] we will hit up medusa,i see lots of great catches of wahoo come fom that area. I was wondering if good catches ofwahoo come from the shelf- edge? Ihave noticed that , that the wahoo like the color pink in the winter and blacks and purples in the summer. My pour log book is so messed up in the upper gulf coast nothing reacts the same even if the days are identical. Once again thanks for the response . One more thing are you going to get out to the floaters between wednesday or friday we are hopeing the weather keeps it couse. We will see you out there. TIM
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Trigger

Tim,

If there's a window and our schedule will allow we will be headed to the floaters for some more tuna action. Gas it to cheap to pass up a trip.We'll keep you posted. Let us know if you decide to go or see a window. I like having company.

Keith
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
Mingo

If the weather holds, I'll be out there as well. I NEED some blood soon!!!

Jeff
macala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
macala (12/14/2008)If the weather holds, I'll be out there as well. I NEED some blood soon!!!

Jeff
Jeff are you going to pull an all nighter , a two day trip or just a full day trip? Wednesday looks like the day so far we will leave p-cola around 400am and probaly return late wednesday night cause we all have to be back at work the next day. Cross your fingers.

TIM
Old 12-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
TCAT (12/14/2008)Tim,

If there's a window and our schedule will allow we will be headed to the floaters for some more tuna action. Gas it to cheap to pass up a trip.We'll keep you posted. Let us know if you decide to go or see a window. I like having company.

Keith
Keith definalty keep us posted it is always good to have a boat near by, probaly going to make our way out to horn mtn.overall . Im going to hopefully have a full live well full of mullet so if we can get there we should have our chances for a beast.

TIM
Old 12-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
Trigger

if you're gonna run to medusa andthe nearby wahoo rigs leave out of SW pass its only 33 miles. those 22 miles you save will be worth it esp. since you rarely see a day with less that 2 footers in jan. we normally "make the loop" run to the lump out of sw pass and do the chunk thing till around 10 or so then make our way south then east. hitting medusa, moxie, cognac ect.for hooters.then stop for a quick and easy limit of aj's before coming back up S pass...... allin all its only about 100 mile trip outside the river. usually by hitting all these spots we find either tuna or hooters. it sure beats sitting there achored up with 400 boats at the lump all day.
SUNDAY-FUNDAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Sailfish

Sunday-Funday Thanks so much for the infomation it will be a great help. Since we only have one trip under our belt out of the SW pass. And you are right about the 400 boats that's just not our crew thing to get into the crowd. Gene
Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
Trigger

dayyuuum. just read the rest of the respones.... hope ya'll do well out there.... at first i thought it too late and too cold for the tuna to still be this far east. but after checking the water temp. it showed 74 at horn mountain. good luck wish i were riding shot gun. look foward to reports!
SUNDAY-FUNDAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in