Braided line with mono topshot - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Kim
Blue Marlin

Default Braided line with mono topshot

I know this is the right place to ask this question. I've read where a lot of you use braided line with a mono topshot. I'm looking for some advice for two different scenarios. First one is for me, I want to spool up a couple 50W's to try it out. What I'd like to know is what combinations have worked well for you. The second one is for my buddy's son, Morgan is a great kid and he's small for his age, sooooo I'm wondering if I could spool up some 30W's for him to give him a shot at Marlin.Last thing I want to do is leave fish out there trailing a couple hundred yards of line. The 50W's are a bit much for him after a prolonged time on the rod, I'd appreciate your inputs.

Kim
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Braided line with mono topshot

I am sure you will get different thoughts on this one, but my opinion based on some experience is on scenario one where a normal sized adult is using a 50W on standup gear with a good Braid harness with back or kidney straps with the reel spooled with 800+ yards of 50# mono with the drag set at 15 lbs, you have plenty of reel+line to handle all but the biggest (rare!) blue marlin in the gulf. Adding braid will give you more line capacity (who needs more than 800 yards! other than long range tuna boats out of California that are on the anchor) and who can handle more drag on standup? Braid would allow you to use more drag, but hey 15 lbs is a lot already! Plus you would most likely DQ yourself from any IGFA tournament.

As to the second scenario, that makes a lot more sense to me. You could buy a quality 16W reel like the new Penn's or Tiagra and spool it with braid and have a really nice lite combo that a small person could use with the ability to add all the drag your angler could stand.

My two teenage girls are small framed 14 and 15 and they can use 50W on Braid standup. Sounds crazy, but I hooked them up in the harness then tied the line to the bumper of my pickup and took off! did this many times and they got the hang of proper balance and stance to handle the drag screaming off without using arms, but rather their body mass to absorb the run. so that was my solution. My 80 lb 14 year old caught a 55lb yft two weeks ago on a Penn 50W with no problem other than her hand cramping from the reel handle!

Hope this helps.

MScontender
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Grouper

Kim--alot of the bw fishermen are using Jerry Brown hollowcore braid in either 100# or 130# with an 80# mono topshot.....Part of the reason is increased line capacity.....also because of the fact that one only has to replace the topshot and not a whole spool of line.....YMMV

For the youngun, I would spool a 30 with 100# JB anda 50-60 TS........practice a little.....go fishin!!!!!Good luck and have fun.......Take lotsa pictures............

George
Speckulator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Kim
Blue Marlin

MS and George, thanks for the inputs. Based on what you've told me, I'm going to leave the 50W's alone already spooled up with 50 mono, but I will respool a couple of 30W's for the kid. MS the truck training never flickered across my old feeble mind, great idea. However, I'll modify that to a golf cart and give him a couple days of practice before the next trip. That should be a hoot out at San Destin, lots of grass to roam around on with the golf cart, and it will give the tourists something new to take pics of lmao. One other thing, a small braid harness is too big for Morgan, I'm wondering if they make and extra small or is it time to take a small one to Canvas Specialties to get modified to fit him??
Old 07-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
White Marlin

I'm with george. JB hollow braid and a 100yd 60lb mono top shot SPLICED in on a 30W would be perfect for a child
biggamefishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Sailfish

This is my skinny 14 year old in the Braid Harness, the Kidney belt becomes more of a back belt, but it works!

MScontender
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
Kim
Blue Marlin

When Morgan gets back I'll post a pic of him on the golf cart line and the first pic he won't have the style and balance your daughter does. Thanks Buddy

Kim
Old 07-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
Sailfish

there is no way in this world i would strap myself to a PENN reel let alone my kid.dont take it personal but that a good way to get snatched over the gunnels and make a good desent.

my dad was just telling me about a similar situation off the outer banks that happened not to long ago while bluefin stand up tuna fishing.they haven't found the guy yet.it happens alot more than we get told about.
-=Desperado=- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
i ?!u?d ?uop (7/26/2009)there is no way in this world i would strap myself to a PENN reel let alone my kid.dont take it personal but that a good way to get snatched over the gunnels and make a good desent.
my dad was just telling me about a similar situation off the outer banks that happened not to long ago while bluefin stand up tuna fishing.they haven't found the guy yet.it happens alot more than we get told about.
You must be using some strong string on a 30 or 50 to get pulled over
Travis Gill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
Grouper

big string.
Sam Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in