Bluewater Gear Mistakes - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree14Likes

Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Bluewater Gear Mistakes

So I caught the biggest YFT of my life on Saturday.

I had a 350g jigging acid wrapped rod with a Torsa 12II

The reel did excellent with 65LB braid and a Top shot of 80LB mono. I fished a 10/0 Mustad Demon Perfect Circle Hook while chunking.

The rod grips now spin. The grips are toast but the rod held up.

QUESTION AND ANSWER

When chunking should I go to a stand up roller rod?

I have larger reels like Torsa 40 and Talica 16II's but have not seen a real reason to go to 20's or 25's since 40LB drag is about all you can muster for one and two the tuna's mouth is pretty soft.
Is this sound thinking?

Trolling:
We trolled with a 3 spread to keep things simple with only 2 adults on board

Down the center with a diver on a Roller and Penn 2 speed 50
Port Standup roller with a Tyrnos 30II (Chugger)
Starboard Standup roller with a Tiagra 30WLSRA (Weighted smoker)

Q: While trolling what drag should the reel be capable of?
Q: While chunking for Large YFT is 40Lbs enough drag?
Q: When you get a fish that spools 3000' of line and wraps you around the rig before you can chase him down,
What is it? and
What could have been done to prevent the spool without pulling the hook?

If by accident we hooked up on a Marlin or Sail is the gear I am fishing gonna slow them down?

Sorry but, I am realizing that I am in a totally different world in 6500' of water and I want to go back all of the time!

What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 01:22 AM   #2
White Marlin

Way over my head. It sounds like you know what your doing. There was 2 BFT caught in the tourny in the 800 lb class.
stc1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Mingo

looking forward to hearing answers to this one
neckmoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I can't answer all of these questions, but I'll give you a few concepts for starters:
- Modern compact reels capable of delivering heavy drag have changed the way many people tuna fish. It wasn't long ago that only internationals and tiagras would be used for this since they were the only reels that could deliver the necessary drag to do it. But, any reel capable of consistently giving 15 pounds of drag and big enough to hold 400-500 yds of line, is good enough to catch a tuna. Consistency is important here though (from both the reel and the angler).
- I would never use a reel that didn't have lugs on the front to connect a harness to. This is non-negotiable.
- Without a beefy rod and properly set up harness, you or I couldn't consistently pull 40 lbs. of drag. Even with a good set up, I probably wouldn't get to 40 lbs. consistently. Point is, you don't need that much drag. I've caught many tuna on 30 when the drag never exceeded 15 pounds and many blues on 50 (and 30) when the drag never exceeded 1/3 of the breaking strength of the line (which is the general rule of thumb for drag settings while trolling). More drag can definitely help, but it's better to stick with whatever your angler and tackle can apply consistently.
Mullethead and Ocean Master like this.
Bluewater Report is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
Mingo

BlueWater Report....You mention drag and harness. Could you elaborate on any safety considerations and proper technique of handling a large fish? I've never used a harness except for occasionally using a belt. Thoughts?
neckmoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Not a safety consideration. You're missing out because it helps the angler apply more drag, more consistently, for longer. Instead of a big fish whipping you, you get to whip the fish and then be ready for another one (after a cold beer of course).
neckmoe likes this.
Bluewater Report is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Grouper

OK - my 2 cents - there are other very experienced blue water guys on this forum that could fill you in with better info - but this is my quick take for what its worth :

“So I caught the biggest YFT of my life on Saturday.”
- Nice – how big? – a Torsa 12 with #65 is OK – but will not perform very long at high drag settings – also – not familiar with a Torsa 12II – do you mean a Talica 12II?
-
“When chunking should I go to a stand up roller rod?”
I think so – could be an extended fight – most prefer a short stand up rod – when standing up ! and the roller tip helps at high drag settings – long drag runs – extended fights

“I have larger reels like Torsa 40 and Talica 16II's but have not seen a real reason to go to 20's or 25's since 40LB drag is about all you can muster for one and two the tuna's mouth is pretty soft.
Is this sound thinking?”

40 lb of drag is a huge amount - a setting typical for 100 # plus braid - you will need a harness for extended fights – the Talica 20 is the smallest that has lugs for a shoulder, kidney or full seat harness – you will need that if you are fighting 30 min- hour long fights at 40 lb of drag.
A tuna’s mouth is not all that soft -

“Q: While trolling what drag should the reel be capable of?”
The reel drag should be capable of smooth – reliable performance at 1/3 the breaking strength of the line in the strike setting – this is often a lot less than the advertised max amount
For reference a Penn Int 50 with 50 lb mono is typically set a 16 lb in strike – if spooled with 80 mono – 25- 30 lb at strike – depending on rods – lures/baits personal preference etc.. anglers tweak these values
What line are you spooling these reels ?

“Q: While chunking for Large YFT is 40Lbs enough drag?”

Yes

“Q: When you get a fish that spools 3000' of line and wraps you around the rig before you can chase him down,
What is it? and What could have been done to prevent the spool without pulling the hook?”

You have 1000 yards of line ? what # test ? Likely a cow yellow fin – or if early in the year a blue fin – Lots of circumstances to consider – but chase hard – aggressive drag – gaining angles – long discussions on shoulda- coulda-woulda

“ If by accident we hooked up on a Marlin or Sail is the gear I am fishing gonna slow them down?”

A sail or white marlin for sure – the man in the blue suite is another story...
They can get huge - most smaller – or medium sized blues can be tamed with 500-600 yds of 50 (typical 50 lb mono trolling gear) serious marlin fishermen go with 80 to 130 lb class rigs and 600-800 yds of line or more
marksnet likes this.
Mullethead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

A stiff rod with a bent butt and a harness is your best friend when you're in a long vertical fight with a big tuna. As far as drag, we fish with talica 25's,we never use more than 25-30#'s of drag. We use 60-80 pound leaders, so locking a drag down is out of the question.

2300 ranger bay
250 hpdi
Yellow fever 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

I've caught just about everything with 15 to 17 lbs of drag while trolling. Tuna chunking is a different game all together. I don't know anyone that can hold 40lbs of drag for more than a few minutes or less. If you were harnessed up and someone holding your backside then yes 40lbs can be accomplished without much stress on the angler. It would be a whole lot of stress on the equipment.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #10
Snapper

[QUOTE=Mullethead;6241609]OK - my 2 cents - there are other very experienced blue water guys on this forum that could fill you in with better info - but this is my quick take for what its worth :

“So I caught the biggest YFT of my life on Saturday.”
- Nice – how big? – a Torsa 12 with #65 is OK – but will not perform very long at high drag settings – also – not familiar with a Torsa 12II – do you mean a Talica 12II?

Yes, Guess I was tired but yes Talica 12II not Torsa although I do have a Torsa 40 that I'll be mounting on a Roller.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in