Bluewater around the nipple? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree7Likes

Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Bluewater around the nipple?

Brought the boat over to OB this past weekend. Thinking about making a quick family run out to the nipple. Is the bluewater pretty close right now or should we head West? Thanks for any info.
cobiasco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

True blue water is a long, long way out right now. Like Horn mountain far, or even farther. Most folks who fished memorial day went 100+ miles. That said, there is some pretty water at the nipple right now, and a decent little current push from the south to the north up over the ledge, which at the right time of day should produce.

I was out at the rigs last weekend. Don't even bother stopping at Petronis. Marlin was decent, although no YF, or at least not one that I could catch. There was a billfish caught at the Marlin, I believe.

Your other best bet, or at least it was last week, is about 25-30 miles south/southeast of the dumping grounds. There is a nice temp break out there and current push.

So, it's up to you whether you want 35 miles or 75 miles (at least). Depends on what you are after.
gulfbreezetom likes this.
ALFisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks!
cobiasco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Grouper

Man that's an Awesome Gesture Right there. Appreciate folks like you.
floorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFisher View Post
True blue water is a long, long way out right now. Like Horn mountain far, or even farther. Most folks who fished memorial day went 100+ miles. That said, there is some pretty water at the nipple right now, and a decent little current push from the south to the north up over the ledge, which at the right time of day should produce.

I was out at the rigs last weekend. Don't even bother stopping at Petronis. Marlin was decent, although no YF, or at least not one that I could catch. There was a billfish caught at the Marlin, I believe.

Your other best bet, or at least it was last week, is about 25-30 miles south/southeast of the dumping grounds. There is a nice temp break out there and current push.

So, it's up to you whether you want 35 miles or 75 miles (at least). Depends on what you are after.
What defines "blue water" or "true blue water"? I'm thinking about making my first long run if we have another streak of good weather and calm seas. Would be departing Pensacola pass. Can I find good action within 35 miles? Thanks in advance!
SushiKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #6
Blind Luck
Cigar Minnow

Agree with floorman, nice job ALFisher!
under70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiKing View Post
What defines "blue water" or "true blue water"? I'm thinking about making my first long run if we have another streak of good weather and calm seas. Would be departing Pensacola pass. Can I find good action within 35 miles? Thanks in advance!

Maybe. I'm not sure anyone fished last weekend due to weather, but the weekend before water at the nipple (about 35 miles) was pretty, there was plenty of bait, but we didn't have a single knockdown. That was 10 days and a tropical storm ago now, so no one will know until they go.

In general, starting around now through September, the nipple should start to produce a good billfish bite. They usually show up there when it starts to get hot.
marlin77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
Sailfish

Dont look at it now . The Mississippi is what you'll be fishing all the way out to 85 miles . Water is mud !!
Deep South likes this.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #9
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by recess View Post
Dont look at it now . The Mississippi is what you'll be fishing all the way out to 85 miles . Water is mud !!
What do you mean? So far east of that how are possibly seeing Mississippi mud
SushiKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
Sailfish

It does this every year , Mississippi and mobile dumps so much fresh water it turns our gulf top layer into mud . I suggest subscribing to Hilton's offshore or another to keep track of where not to go .
Getsome and Kim like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in