Blue Water Bahama Briefing for the Gulf Bottom Fisherman. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By philthefish

Old 06-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Blue Water Bahama Briefing for the Gulf Bottom Fisherman.

Thanks much to prsumner, me and my Cobia 31 are headed to the Bahamas (weather permitting) the first week in July. Ive got down/out riggers, a 2 sets of 2 30W with 50lb high-stretch momoi and 80b clear leader. Got a couple of yozuri's, islanders, surface plugs, cedar plugs, a small bird, small set of crimps and some wire. Other than that, I basically don't have a lick of sense what I'm doing when it comes to trolling or getting fish to eat out there.

I've started a bit here - and about the only thing I can troll and catch things on are stretch 30's.

So, if anyone would be willing to send me a vetted link to a 'bahama blue water for dumbasses' site, I'd take it. I know for sure one thing - I either need to have my rigging done for me at the shop or I need to buy the right tools - because I sucked pretty badly... But even what/how the rigging should be done would be a good start. Also trolling speeds?

I don't need to catch marlin - a few fat mahi would make us just as happy.

Thanks fellas!
philthefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Have you checked any of the book stores in town or Amazon. Lots of how to for natural bait rigging and artificial rigging. If your really serious then look for how to make baits. Good luck to ya.
torreyislandkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
Grouper

Default rigging

A couple of hours on the net, viewing youtubes and perusing articles should give you some good tips to rig ballyhoo successfully and other trolling technics. Saw a good article from Salt water dedicated to catching mahis on weed lines. So much infos out there, take notes and practice before your trip. Please share your trip with us when back, definetly on my bucket list to tow my boat over there and go across.
Have a safe trip.
ARC 2017 Las Palmas to St Lucia, 45ft Lagoon.

The true peace of god begins at any point a 1000 miles from the nearest land. Joseph Conrad
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Mingo

Ok folks, well I'll do some research and post up and good links I find. I think at a minimum I need to able to properly troll a pre-rigged ballyhoo, an islander, a cedar plug and maybe a trolling feather.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
Sailfish

Good luck. Oh, and buy some Bionic Brine for the ballyhoo and cover them with it for a good 12 hours before pulling them. Will last much longer.
gator7_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
Sailfish

Buck Hall has a very informative book. Lots of good info on trolling, tricks, and technique.
Getsome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
Mingo

Default Bahamas Fishing links

Hey folks, who's got the best prerigged ballyhoo? That's the last little bit I need before we are in the truck headed south.

Departure is now 48 hours away. Found a bunch of great resources in addition to those mentioned here. I'm going to write it all up and then let you know how it all went down. In the meantime, I'm going to get back to practicing my Bimini twists.

Am I going to need trolling weights? I'm bringing my down rigger with planer... But wondering whether I need some weights to push some bits down a bit deeper. Planing on pulling a 4-5 line spread, 2 on outriggers, 2 out back, 1 down deep.

So far, I've been reading everything I can from George Poveromo. - http://georgepoveromo.com. Very helpful and:
my3nme likes this.

Last edited by philthefish; 07-01-2015 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Add links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in