best marlin lure - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default best marlin lure

what is your most productive lure for marlin collor ect...
artnailer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: best marlin lure

I don't know much, and it's not very original,but for blue marlinI think it's hard to beat a blue/white ilander with a select ballyhoo on therigger/shotgunand a purple/black/silver Moldcraft senior wide range on a flat line. I'll almost always start with those, and fill in from there.
SnapperSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Grouper

Yup, around here, a blue and white islander with a ballyhoo is always a good choice. Really though, you have to adjust your spread based on sea conditions, light conditions, what type of bait is in the area and the speed you are trolling. Also, different lures run different in different locations on the boat and also on different boats since they all have different wake patterns.

You are going to get 100 different answers to your question. The key is watching the lures and if they don't look like they are running right, change them out, drop them back a little, reel them in a little, change boat speed or angle on the waves a little if you know bait is there which should hold fish.

Chris Couture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
Trigger

dont know nothing bout them marlins but i do know cobia loves orange and more orange with some chart mixed
atlast740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
Sailfish

As Chris said there is no one lure that is the best all the time. One boat will catch a bunch of fish on a certain lure and another boat won't raise one on it. But Islanders have taken their fair share around here for sure
Travis Gill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Sailfish

Marlin Mag did a cool article about the top marlin lures. The Island Lure (Hawaiian Eye) was somewhere in the top 5 I think. Moldcraft had 2 of the top 3. The Moldcraft Widerange was voted number one and the Super Chugger was number 3. Pretty impressive. Biggest Blue I've seen (we didn't land, but she jumped a lot pretty close so we got a good look at her) was on a Moldcraft Super Chugger - dolphin color.
facebook.com/BSTseptic
nb&twil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
Mingo

Pakula Rat in frigate and any colormoldcraft wide range, Teased many a marlin with both lures.
tiereta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
Snapper

Whats up Rob,

My spread has a black bart breakfast on the left short, marlin magic ruckus on the right short, joe yee super plunger on the right rigger, moldcraft wide range left rigger, a daisy chain on the left teaser reel with a ballyhoo pitchbait, a blackbart braziliono on the righ teaser reel with a spanish mack pitchbait. I put the same lure out everytime casue they work. So find what works for you. What speed the lures run the best at. The best marlin lure is what you pull most of the time you pull it they will eat it. But like Chris said pay attention to what the lures are doing. If it is a slant head and its jumping 2 ft out of the water then change it out to something else. good luck just pay attention to your spread!! They will come.
Midnight Run is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Blue Marlin

aside from some of the aforementioned, i would just add that it helps to be in the right area at the right time. subscribe to hilton's offshore to give you the latest on altimetry, color changes, temperature, etc. i dont care if your spread costs $100 or $1000, if you're in the wrong area, it's not gonna produce anything.
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
Mingo

Hey Jeff,

Go to frenzysportfishing.com and click on the blog and scroll down to the report of our trip to costa rica Feb 5,6,7it is a pretty good story and the fishing their is pretty good as it is in most places if you hit it right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in