Ballyhoo vs. Lures when trolling? and a few rigging questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree13Likes

Old 09-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Ballyhoo vs. Lures when trolling? and a few rigging questions

I'm new to trolling but plan on giving it a shot in October if schedule and weather allows. The plan is to head out to the spur/nipple area and start dragging baits. I have 5 30w's but plan on trolling with four to keep it simple at the beginning. I will also be using outriggers. I honestly don't care to target a particular species yet and would be happy for just a knock down or two. I have three questions for you guys.

Question 1: I know trolling with ballyhoo seems to be the norm either skirted or naked. Any thoughts on trolling lures vs. ballyhoo. My plan is to stop by Sam's in Orange beach and invest in some Moldcraft or Williamson lures vs. ballyhoo and skirts. Would I be lowering my chances at a bite using lures vs. ballyhoo?

Question 2: I recently purchased a crimping kit and would like to us fluorocarbon leader vs. wire. What pound leader do you recommend and how long of a leader? I know there is a chance of a wahoo cutting me off but I like the idea of having several pre-made leaders ready to go. If I troll a stretch 30 or marauder than that will have wire.

Question 3: My reels are spooled with 30lb. mono. what do you guys recommend for attaching the leader? A snap swivel with or without bimini twist than a snap swivel for attaching lure?

Thank you in advanced for your help and advise.
THONAS J. RYAN likes this.
apporition77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

1) I pull a combination of lures and ballyhoo and very rarely either/or. I like lures in certain positions of the spread because they add variety and action and because they are "fire and forget" baits that won't need any checking for washing out or short hits. For example, my shotgun bait is almost always an artificial. I have pulled full spreads of artificials plenty of times though as have many others on here and have done very well. When you stop by our store, either myself or Mark can help you pick out a spread and show you where to place them in your spread.

2) I pull most of my baits on mono leaders with the exception of my naked ballyhoo rigs. I have experimented using heavy fluoro with lures and just never felt I did any better with the much more expensive fluorocarbon. I match my mono size to the lures. Smaller lures have much better action on lighter leaders. I rarely get cut off by a Wahoo on my trolling baits. My plugs are always rigged on heavy single strand wire. they pull great on single strand, it isn't highly visible and its cheap and easy to rig with.

3) If you are fishing a smaller boat with limited crew and using lighter outfits, I'd recommend using a short double line to a wind-on leader and use shorter trace leaders on your lures and baits. This will make it easier to get control of a fish boatside and eliminate the need for a wireman. You can bypass the Wind on leaders if you wish but then I would use a 10ft double line connected to your snap swivel via offshore swivel knot. Either way, if you're in a smaller boat, I would keep your trace leaders somewhat shorter.
recess and THONAS J. RYAN like this.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
Grouper

You can't go wrong with Chris V. Like Chris V, I troll a combination of lures and baits. There is merit to "KISS" by starting out with just lures. As you gain experience, you can start adding natural baits. Fluro is not needed.

I highly recommend and use wind on. They work and much safer.

If you are using 30# trolling line, you will need to stick with small lures.
Also set your drag with a drag scale.

Good luck, Tight Lines.
Magic236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I'll add this if needed; the best day of bluewater fishing I've ever experienced (action-wise) was pulling a full spread of nothing but artificial lures all day. After it was all said and done, we had over 60 strikes from Billfish, Tuna, Wahoo and Dolphin. This was fishing open water to the southeast too.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
Sailfish

They both have there purpose , try diffrent positions and combinations and eventully you'll have your go to spread
Old 09-18-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Kim
Blue Marlin

Not sure if that's Gene or Tim @ RECESS but they kind of hit the lure on the head when suggesting trying out different combinations of lure/natural baits. At some point you may want to explore rigging baits like Ahi Bellies (most people use Bonita for this) and such to be added to lures/spread.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

The 30lb mono is fine with the 30 wide reels. Chris at Sam's will get you started in the right direction.

One must have bait is a Blue and White Islander over Ballyhoo combo. That combination has caught more fish than anything else.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Not sure if that's Gene or Tim @ RECESS but they kind of hit the lure on the head when suggesting trying out different combinations of lure/natural baits. At some point you may want to explore rigging baits like Ahi Bellies (most people use Bonita for this) and such to be added to lures/spread.
Huh??
Recess= Tim
Purple haze= Gene
Drink another one !!
Old 09-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
Kim
Blue Marlin

I knew it was one of you guys, sometimes I just can't remember stuff, no drinking involved.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Thank you guys for the help. Sounds like I need to swing by Sam's and see Chris.
apporition77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in