Anybody ever fish the 100-fathom line SE of the Madison and Swanson? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Anybody ever fish the 100-fathom line SE of the Madison and Swanson?

I has a cousin who caught the second blue marlin ever brought into Apalachacola in that area about 35 years ago (one day after the first one was brought in, which is why they were out there), but I have never heard another word about anybody fishing there.

It appears from the closure map that this is an open area, but water conditions may suck.

Just curious.
GAHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Snapper

Are you referring to The Wings? Which direction from Madison Swanson? How deep of water? I'd say the better water is SW of Madison Swanson, near the West FL Slope.
atlantacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantacapt View Post
Are you referring to The Wings? Which direction from Madison Swanson? How deep of water? I'd say the better water is SW of Madison Swanson, near the West FL Slope.

Heck if I know what it's called. I'm talking about that area along the 100-fathom line southeast of Madison and Swanson, just outside the oil spill closure zone. Looks to be 50-60 miles SSW of Apalach.
GAHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Mingo

GAhunter, I have a trip planed for the week of Sept 20th to Mexico Beach I plan on going to the Wings and Squiggles ( if they open up some more water) and will give a report but that is 2 months away. I hope they open up some more water before then I don't know if I can last until 10-20-2010
DHB699 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Kim
Blue Marlin

Your best bet would be 120 miles south of Apalachacola at the place called the "Box". It's east of Loyd's Ridge which is still in the closed area but the Box is in the open area.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Mingo

GAHunter: We delivered a boat last week from Clearwater to Destin and dragged some baits in that area for a few hours it that area. The currents were pushed way to the EAST and when we neared Madison Swanson there was not much going on. We did catch a 40lb King on a 13" marlin lure which was fun to watch strike, but that was it. I think your best bet would be to fish the Madison Swanson at sunup for Wahoo and then move over to the Squiggles - especially if the currents are pushing east.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 08-29-2010 at 10:18 AM.
matttheboatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Grouper

We went down there about a month ago. Not much to see out on the break. When we came back in on the shelf to the east there was more life. We did get some chickens and mingos, but nothing spectacular. The boys will be back there this weekend to search around a little more, but I will be in Destin.
Eastern Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in