Okaloosa pier - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - Reports

Like Tree2Likes

Old 05-26-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Okaloosa pier

Ive been fishing this area my whole life but had never been to the pier before crazily enough.

I really wanted some spanish and shalimar bridge hasn't been producing at the times I've been there.

I caught one nice spanish today about 18 In long on a gotcha plug.

80 percent of the people there were using only sabiki rigs and I saw one spanish caught that way but they were all filling their coolers with hardtail. I asked the guy next to me if they were gonna eat it and he said he loves them. Are they worth picking through bones for the meat?

I really enjoyed it out there amd I'm headed back tomorrow morning for the dawn patrol. Hopefuly I catch a few more and I even set up a king rig. We'll see.
Capnmichael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
Sailfish

We used to catch big kings out there years ago. Good luck!
FishinSpot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
Mingo

Not much going on this morning at the pier. Only saw ramora and hardtail by the hundreds neing brought up. I gave away a few hardtail. I'm going back this evening since its 8 buck to fish.

I want to target pomps and whiting in the trough but the draw to catch spanish is too strong!

Old 05-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
Snapper

You must not have gotten a good pier welcoming from the pier rats on the end yet...cross one of their lines or get within 3 feet of one of them when the kings or tarpon cruise by and see what happens.

I used to fish that pier years ago when I was stuck fishing land...I went for the first time in years the other morning to catch some bait before going out on the boat and it seemed the same...ppl sleeping on the end from the night before so they can have their spot on the end for the day, pier rats talking trash about everyone else, Old Asian ladies with 100 lbs of hard tails in the cooler with no ice.

I stopped going when I almost lost it on a dude on the end that cast a tarpon spoon with a treble hook out at a dad and his probably 8 year old son on a jet ski near the pier. They were tourists just following the dolphin that cruised by, they didnt know the rules of watercraft near the pier. Instead of maybe calmly informing them to not get so close, he and his buddy immediately started launching spoons and cursing at them. I dont know where those dudes get their attitudes, but its embarrassing when tourists or locals pay to walk their families out and they encounter that type behavior on the end. Many of said pier rats are lucky to have any teeth in their heads after some of the things they have yelled at families and children all because they want to catch a fish. That's the impression of local fisherman that people get when they see the pier rats being pier rats, and it doesn't reflect well on us all.

Anyways, now that my rant is over...the 2nd post as you walk out on the pier (left side, has an amber light) seemed to be a hot spot for big reds after sundown, and pompano when they are running
Shark Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Sugar View Post
You must not have gotten a good pier welcoming from the pier rats on the end yet...cross one of their lines or get within 3 feet of one of them when the kings or tarpon cruise by and see what happens.

I used to fish that pier years ago when I was stuck fishing land...I went for the first time in years the other morning to catch some bait before going out on the boat and it seemed the same...ppl sleeping on the end from the night before so they can have their spot on the end for the day, pier rats talking trash about everyone else, Old Asian ladies with 100 lbs of hard tails in the cooler with no ice.

I stopped going when I almost lost it on a dude on the end that cast a tarpon spoon with a treble hook out at a dad and his probably 8 year old son on a jet ski near the pier. They were tourists just following the dolphin that cruised by, they didnt know the rules of watercraft near the pier. Instead of maybe calmly informing them to not get so close, he and his buddy immediately started launching spoons and cursing at them. I dont know where those dudes get their attitudes, but its embarrassing when tourists or locals pay to walk their families out and they encounter that type behavior on the end. Many of said pier rats are lucky to have any teeth in their heads after some of the things they have yelled at families and children all because they want to catch a fish. That's the impression of local fisherman that people get when they see the pier rats being pier rats, and it doesn't reflect well on us all.

Anyways, now that my rant is over...the 2nd post as you walk out on the pier (left side, has an amber light) seemed to be a hot spot for big reds after sundown, and pompano when they are running
Yea the end section there doenst seem to welcoming and its to crowded any way. Ive been standing about 15 yards from the start of the end. Thats where I got the spanish yesterday. Its mostly young guys with super expensive set ups. Oh to be young with no bills so I can spend all my money on a van staal on a custom rod. And one guy was already drinking a beer at 8 o'clock today lol. Even for me that's early

I do like it out there for some reason though.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
Snapper

Well of course you like it, it's on the water and you're fishin! That's why we are all on this forum haha.

Funny story about expensive stuff...years back during the tarpon run the pier rats were being their usual self and bullying everybody on the end...well a good tarpon pod swam by and EVERYBODY started calling out their numbers and casting, so the tourists on the end had no idea what was going on...anyways, several of the notorious pier rats had hooked up and lost 1 or 2 tarpon apiece, all while yelling at everyone to get back behind the line and telling their buddies "that's how you set a hook"...as the tarpon spit out their $20 lure tied to their $1,500 van Staal reel and custom rod...all the while this teenage kid from Tennessee had a frozen cigar minnow hooked on a black steel leader rig from bass pro on a 6 foot bill dance largemouth special that the pier rats were making fun of...WHAM, the kid hooks up and starts the fight with about a 100 lb tarpon...he let that fish run and battle for a good hour, getting yelled at by the pier rats telling him he's doing it wrong and how he needs to walk the fish up and down the pier the entire time, while they have hooked up and lost numerous fish. This kid just kept battling and ended up winning the fight, got the big silver king to the columns, rolled over on his sides KO'd. The pier rats couldn't believe it...but nobody told the kid to leave the hooled fish in the water and walk it down to the beach to hop in and take a picture with his trophy catch...he high sticked it trying to use his rod to lift the big tarpon out of the water and up the pier, needless to say, his bill dance special rod snapped clean in half and the fish was gone...the kid was upset, but his dad had plenty of pics and video and we all saw the silver king on its side begging for mercy...the kid won the battle. But the pier rats couldn't let him have his moment...they instantly started riding him for not having custom rods and van staals and for breaking his rod and losing the fish...even tho none of them stayed hooked up more than 5 minutes...

Those dudes are low class garbage and may God have mercy on their soul
Shark Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 10:14 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Default Okaloosa Pier?

Is this close to where the old Wayside Pier used to be?

Precious few "Pier Rats" back in the early 60's but lots of fish. One particular pier rat got thrown in a couple of times. Once he did a "Belly buster" and dang near drowned. His dad came out to talk to those who threw his son in. He brought a bunch of beer for the guys.

That particular pier rat deck handed for me a few times before he got drafted. He was a ground pounder and, unfortunately, he died in Vietnam in 1968 or so.

I'm pretty sure I caught the first Cobia caught off Gulf Shore's pier, way before it opened. Darn near wound up in jail for the offense but I'd do it again for an 84# Cobia.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #8
Mingo

Yes sir, what is called the boardwalk now is what used to be called wayside park. I wasn't around back then but that's what some older folks have told me.

84 pounder congrats sir that's a fish of a lifetime for sure!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
Mingo

Nothing happening this morning other than one short bonita blitz. Tons of bait everywhere though. Few tarpon seen
Old 06-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
BJW
Mingo

Years ago I was on the Navarre pier. One of the you pier rats, we called the pierasites, was going off loudly about all the "tourists" fishing. I couldn't take it anymore and told him he should go shake the hand of each tourist. They are the ones who kept his mama and daddy employed so he could live there.
BJW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in