What to fish at Bob Sykes - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default What to fish at Bob Sykes

I havnt been fishin at Bob Sykes in a while. However evertime i go i never have much luck. Anyone got any suggestions on what to fish with and what kind oof set-up. Thanks all info will be greatly appreciated.
tl3194 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: What to fish at Bob Sykes

your best bet is to wait about a week so the water can clean out from all the rain weve had but after that heres your best to fish to target

1. Redfish

Tackle: Medium setup with at least 250 yards of20lb mainline, egg weight from 2 - 4 oz depending on the current, swivel, 3 feet of 40 - 60 lb floroucarbon leader, and a 2/0 - 6/0 circle hook depending on size of bait

Bait: live/dead white trout, croaker, pinfish or mullet,any kind of fresh cutbait, or a small blue crab the size of your fist.

Technique: Cast bait out and let sit on bottom, make sure your drag is set fairly light so that the fish can take line without feeling pressure and spitting the bait. once he eats, allow to run for a couple seconds the tighten up the drag and raise the rod tip, DONT JERK IT!!!

2. Sheepshead

Tackle: Medium Light setup with at least 6 lb mainline but no larger than 15 at the VERY most, smallest weight possible to keep bait down, smallest swivel possible, 4 feet of 15 lb floroucarbon leader, and a #4 J hook

Bait: live fiddler crabs or shrimp, fresh dead shrimp or sand fleas

Technique: Cast as close to the pillings as possible, allow your bait to drift in the current, once you see the bait stop drifting set the hook, you will rarely feel the fish bite your bait so be prepared to loose several before ytou get the feel for them

hope this helps
User6882 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

hey thanks for the help man. Would my best bet be to go at night or in the mornin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Sailfish

i always do better for sheepies right at daylight til around 10 or so then it dies off til dark..

i have better luck for reds at night but the biggest thing for either fish is to make sure youre fishing when the tides moving.. if its a slack tide then dont ven waste your time
User6882 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Mingo

Don't forget about the white trout this time of year.

I only know the night time tactics. lite tackel , small braid line, silver gotcha lure with white buck tail. put it down to 2 feet of the bottom pull the pole up sharply and let it fall (the trout hit it on the way down) repeat.

works every time. we used to get under a light and start fishing 20 min. later cooler was full. I would look around and nobody was catching anything!! It will take some practice feeling the bite on the way down thats why you should use braid.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

im sorry for my ignorance but what is a slack tide? thanks for the help.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Mingo

Its the time when the tide is not going in or out (noted with current) good luck to you!
Old 12-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Hey thanks alot for the help. Would you happen to know where i could find a tide chart or table for bob sykes.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

NIce tips there, Brandon.

I should be able to find some time in about a week. Hopefully I could get down there and catch me some sheeps....
t65k3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Trigger

This time of year I only fish for sheephead at sykes. I use 20 to 30 pound leader because of their teath. I make the leader 2ft with a swivel big enough not to get stuck in a 1.5 egg weight. I choose my weight depending on wind speed and current strength from .5 to 1.5 I use a 2to4 short shank hook. I went out Mon and caught 5 even though wind was strong and water was dirty.
chefpomp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in